London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 6°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
29/03/2014 at 15:06

Barbara............almost SNAP

One of our allotment holders is a retired bobby who lives near the allotments and "keeps an eye open".

Unfortunately, he is well known for letting his dog foul the village streets as well as receiving an official warning when his dog bit someone. His allotment is also the untidiest.

So, perhaps Pentillie will have a word with his "ex commando lads"......sounds like they could earn a few bob frightening off allotment thieves and vandals around the country

29/03/2014 at 22:50
One method of deterring 'rascals' from entering your patch, might be to grow particularly vicious brambles. These have a barbed wire property , and also encourage wildlife, and put off low life. On the other hand, if you are sort of open plan allotments, buggered if I know what the answer is. Rent a tiger ? rent a wart hog ? catapults at dusk ? I realise that my situation is really blessed ! Hedged, fenced and sturdy. We get broken in to only every 2 years on a good year ! ? Nowt stolen really for longer than this. Thieves only take stuff that is easily carried, fenced at a car boot, for whatever price they can get to cover 'hit' of their chemical of choice. A south American, (Argentinian ) bolas can slow them down dramatically, by wrapping around the ankles most cleverly ! Damned cunning, those gauchos !
31/03/2014 at 07:17

Some years ago I worked for a while on a site near an urban fringe allotment which must have been a couple of acres, Because of vandalism and theft the city council eventually had to enclose the whole thing with ten-foot high heavy duty mesh fencing and give the allotment holders keys to the enormous padlocks on the massive gates. A sad case.

31/03/2014 at 08:39
I agree, Joe, but the sight of all the 3 metre high wire mesh would destroy the whole environment and ambience of having an allotment in the first place. Personally, I would feel imprisoned with all that stuff around me,. I feel nearly under siege by the mere small padlock on my gate !
It is unfortunate that society has come to this, but there we are. Taking things to an extreme of situations, if were had an allotments for EVERYONE, there would be some who would want more, and so on and so on ad infinitum. Allotment wars ! OHHH my GAWWWWD ! I wish I had stayed in bed !
31/03/2014 at 21:20

Have any of you out there seen the film harry brown ? Or death wish ? That's how you stop the scum 

31/03/2014 at 21:49

I think you may be going over the top, Kevin.

31/03/2014 at 23:07
Name your weapon................. parsnips or leeks at dawn !
01/04/2014 at 08:45

Feed them asparagus until they can't stand the smell.

01/04/2014 at 21:33

OK point taken just an idea how about tie them up and make them listen to miss Cheryl Cole ! That should work or kyle minoge 

01/04/2014 at 21:47

Okay, cctv linked to a passive PIR run off a car battery. Simple but effective. Someone breaks the PIR beam which switches on the camera, the light from the PIR lights them up. Smile your'e on candid camera.

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages