London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
6 messages
10/06/2013 at 13:18

We had a brand new fence put in last Summer between us and next door, timber close boarded panels which slot into conrete posts.  However the separate trellis bit which slots on the top is narrower and doesn't quite fill the slot.  It keeps rattling and clonking in the wind. 

We did cut some lengths of timber batten and wedge these in to fill the gap but it appears that our neighbour has removed them??  I am annoyed by this as I spent a lot of time cutting and planing these to fit, as he complained about the noise in the first place!... anyway I am looking for a more permanent solution...

Any ideas how to secure these to the concrete posts?

JPS
10/06/2013 at 14:11

screw the battens to the trellis

we had to do similar to a couple of fence panels that rattled

10/06/2013 at 14:42

Our neighbour's new fence is built in the same way and one panel is loose and rattles in the wind.  We've wedged them tight with wooden clothes pegs on our side so next door can't see them 

10/06/2013 at 16:01

Perhaps the battens have just fallen out. If the neighbour complained about the noise it seems unlikely he would remove them. As JPS says - screw them on to the trellis.

10/06/2013 at 16:11
Sue6 wrote (see)

We had a brand new fence put in last Summer between us and next door, timber close boarded panels which slot into conrete posts.  However the separate trellis bit which slots on the top is narrower and doesn't quite fill the slot.  It keeps rattling and clonking in the wind. 

We did cut some lengths of timber batten and wedge these in to fill the gap but it appears that our neighbour has removed them??  I am annoyed by this as I spent a lot of time cutting and planing these to fit, as he complained about the noise in the first place!... anyway I am looking for a more permanent solution...

Any ideas how to secure these to the concrete posts?

No More Nails Exterior or similar. http://toolstoday.co.uk/category/2487/hard-as-nails 

11/06/2013 at 13:03

Thanks everyone, i'll cut some more battens down to size and screw them to the trellis.  If I get treated timber battens i guess there's minimal risk of rotting if water gets into the screws/holes as it'll be snug inside the post slot.

email image
6 messages