London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
6 messages
23/07/2012 at 21:21
I have a glorious Pieris japonica that is in urgent need of transplanting from it's pot into the garden border. Unfortunately it's jammed tight in and as it's about 5 feet high will be no easy job to remove. My problem is that although I could remove the pot with the aid of a well placed hammer, the pot is rather beautiful - and expensive so I'm loathe to break it. Could anyone give me any suggestions or advice on removing it from it's pot?
23/07/2012 at 21:35

Really soak it- then get a knife or something similar and make a cut around the inside of the pot -with a bit of luck you will take enough soil way to remove it-I have no idea if this will work- so usual t&c's apply.

Perhaps someone else with come up with another cracking idea

23/07/2012 at 22:58

Use that hammer! But not on the pot - turn the pot on its side and put a stake or broom handle into the drainage hole in the bottom. Use the hammer on the stake to help drive out the plant, after releasing its grip on the sides by cutting as Geoff suggests. Hopefully you hav a decent pive of old pot for drainage over the hole which will help spread the load.

With the pot on its side you could also try tapping on the rim of the pot with the hammer using some pieces of wood between the hammer and the rim to soften the blows and spread the load as far as possible across the rim. Maybe a combination of these techniques will do the job.

24/07/2012 at 00:48

Lilly, is this a conventional pot or one with a narrow rim?  It is possible to use an angle-grinder to take the bottom off. 

Yes, you will have a bottomless pot, but if you leave things in it too long that is all to the good.

24/07/2012 at 06:23

Hi, can you lift it by the trunk or stems, if you can, place a length of 2 by 2 across one side, no more than a third in, lift a couple of inches then use the hammer on the wood, then do the other side, the pot will drop so do it on grass, easier if you've got help, I'm assuming its not a narrow necked pot,

24/07/2012 at 16:54
Thanks for all the suggestions. Luckily the pot rim is wider than the base so should be able to try all the advice. It'll be a hard job as the pot is heavy on it's own and as I mentioned the tree is now a good 5 foot and very bushy. It must like it cramped in it's pot - the thought strikes me it's rooted through the drainage holes!!! Well will soon find out.
email image
6 messages