Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Irrigation systems

I have a very dry area in the garden which causes problems and lack of growth every year.

I'm thinking about a soaker hose and would appreciate your suggestions and experiences with these.

What are the common problems with them? Is it worth paying more for top brands or are cheap brands just as good? Could I just make my own? How do you prevent them clogging up with soil and other debris? Are they available with a non leaky section, eg if it needs to cross a path? Any other items tried?

Thanks.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

I live in a semi-arid desert, so soaker hoses are the way forward.  I find the type really depends on what you're growing.  I use the collapsible type in my veg garden, as they are run in straight lines with very few turns (they tend to kink if you want to weave it around a lot).  If you want a long term hose that will stay in place for a few years, then the type that looks like a standard hose, but black and leaks, is your best bet.  The non-collapsible hoses are good for putting under mulch too, so they are hidden out of sight.  My best advice to you would be to purchase an timer valve to go along with the system.  They are super easy to program, and mine even has a rain delay button to press if you want to.. without resetting the entire program.  That way you can just forget about it, and let it do it's thing. 

Soaker hoses work best for large plants or plants in rows.  If you have lots of little plants, like wildflowers, etc.. go for some low level sprinkler heads with sections of cut down hose between (an easy job, cut your hose and add new male/female parts).  Again, put it on a timer system.  

Utah, USA.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

thanks blue onion. I have a hose I could use and put the holes where I want them. I will definitely get a timer too. should I remove it in the winter ( when I don't need it) to prevent it clogging up? 

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I have a soaker hose which I run through the sunnier, drier side of my garden.  It is on a timer.  It lies on the surface of the soil, this doesn't present a problem because as soon as the plants start to grow it is hidden by the foilage.  I think you need to be a bit careful about putting holes into an existing hose as they can  rip and tear due to the pressure of the water. Mine is left out all winter and doesnt clog up.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

thanks yviw

My leaky hose arrived today but unfortunately it hasn't come up to expectations.

The water gets through about 4metres (15 metre hose) then gives up. The water pressure is fine. We tried it from both ends, there is a very slight incline and I mean very slight but even organising it so it flows downwards didn't improve it.

Seems a refund is in order and Mr.Amazon won't be too happy with the review.