Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

John Innes Compost

We often get questions about John Innes composts - today's Gardener's Question Time visited the John Innes Centre near Norwich and many FAQs were answered. 

If you didn't hear it you can listen again here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Nor me image  It'd get in the mince pies at this time of year image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

we have a soil guru over here who is so dogmatic and annoying that as my friend Mara said the other day- we can't shoot the messenger so we'll shoot the message-to hell with his soil.image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Does John Innes compost really make a big difference in people's experience? I tend to look at the price, and go for a cheaper option like Arthur j bowers or murphys.

• JI composts are (should be) made up to a fixed formula, and are soil based. Most of the others are peat or peat substitute based. Use whichever you are comfortable with. I rarely use any of them without altering them, by adding grit or sand or Perlite etc. or mixing a JI with a peat based. I remember many years ago getting some JI compost for my father who was shocked to find lots of grit in it. He sieved all out before using it. image

• Tootles wrote (see)

Does John Innes compost really make a big difference in people's experience? I tend to look at the price, and go for a cheaper option like Arthur j bowers or murphys.

For tomatoes etc and annual bedding in containers I find a good MPC is fine.  

For potting anything else I use loam based JI composts - sometimes I add extra grit for things like bay, rosemary, figs etc and other plants that need really free-draining soil.  I use JI No 2 for growing on perennials etc and No 3 for shrubs, fruit trees etc that will be in the containers long term.