London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
8 messages
07/03/2013 at 14:28

I have just bought a property with a large lawn area which is quite a chore to mow. With it being so large it is a nuisance to collect all the grass cuttings. I just wanted peoples opinions on leaving the cuttings on the lawn to mulch. Would this be benificial to the lawn or will it have a negative affect? Thanks. 

07/03/2013 at 14:40

Depends on how bothered you are about the lawn-those who use hover mowers seldom pick up -those who use mowers with a box will

The theory is you chop the grass and it decomposes back into the lawn which in turn feeds it-however unless you cut the grass regularly you will eventually end up with a thatch which causes poor growth etc and that needs raking out etc

As I say if you are not that bothered about the grass,and it is just a playground for the kids, and you dont want to play bowls on it then mulch the clippings.

Public grass areas seldom pick up the clippings-they look ok

07/03/2013 at 14:53

I tend to leave the grass cuttings on as a mulch when we have a hot dry spell as it also conserves moisture but strangely enough, not last year.

We have a petrol mower with a box, but for a quick trim, we use the hover and leave the cutting on as there's not a lot.

My lawn's in poor shape after all the rain last year so will be giving it some attention during the next few weeks.

07/03/2013 at 15:14

Thanks for the answers. Im thinking I will leave the cuttings as im not too bothered on how it looks as long as the lawn is generally healthy, also im not too sure where to dump all the cuttings as of yet.

Do you have an area to dump the cuttings? For example a compost heap?

07/03/2013 at 15:17

I put them in the compost bin/heap mixed in with other stuff or they go all matted-my neighbour puts his in the green bag for the council to collect

07/03/2013 at 15:28
My own lawns are of 150 sq metres on the front and 2 smaller areas at the back, I always use a grass box and empty onto compost heap. However for a friend of mine, who has a bigger lawn....grass..area.... I cut it once a fortnight for her without the grass box. So, mine is about appearance and quality and hers is about looking goood...ish....without being overly fussy. Both of us have healthy grass areas but mine is more of a "lawn". Kenc3, it seems you are happy with the healthy but not too fussy option so cut your grass without grass box. There are advantages too ...you dont need to feed and if we have a hot dry summer your lawn is mulched.
07/03/2013 at 21:29

I find that if you're not going to collect up the clippings you need to mow just htat little bit more frequently than you might do if you were using a grass-box and gathering the clippings up.  

We have a hover mower with a grass box - for an informal lawn it's the best of both worlds - it really isn't much bother to empty the clippings into the compost bins.

07/03/2013 at 23:35

I have a lot of lawn which I mow with a garden tractor that just mulches.

email image
8 messages