London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
9 messages
16/11/2013 at 10:18

Just a quick on is their a right and wrong way to tip a Petrol Lawnmower for cleaning

James

16/11/2013 at 10:21

Tipping it over on the lawn is one 'wrong way', just in case of petrol leaks.

16/11/2013 at 10:50

will the oil fill to air filter if tip the wrong way

16/11/2013 at 12:13

It might, but probably depends on make & model.  If you haven't got the manual, google might be able to find it for you.  If it's a fancy one with electric start, you should probably disconnect the battery before doing anything to avoid accidentally pressing/kicking the start button.

21/11/2013 at 19:02

Just to let you know I cleaned to lawnmower with a jet was today and wait for it

IT STILL WORK'S LOL

tipped it fuel tank down with the air filter pointing up

James

11/12/2013 at 00:27

I put three housebricks under each of the front wheels of my mower and scrape all of the crap out from the front end using whatever suitable edged tool I dig out of my toolbox.  Then I drop the front end down and put three housebricks under each of the back wheels and do the same.  The world of grass cuttings comes out.  Give the back axles a good scrape too.  In my experience you've got to get under the machine.  You will need to lie on your side to get under there with your scraper, but it is weirdly satisfying.  After a day's mowing, my machine accumulates probably about 7lbs of shredded grass around the cutting blade, quite apart from what is propelled into the grass bag!

11/12/2013 at 00:32

PS: always run your machine dry of petrol before putting it into storage for the winter.  Petrol goes off when left.  Not a lot of people know that. 

11/12/2013 at 08:06

Thatk you Jonathan for the tips

13/12/2013 at 01:23

disassemble working parts, thorough clean, if you have petrol still in tank allow machine to run dry, once cleaned.. you could consider doing oil change before winter storage,  and let machine run the remaining petrol.. you'll still need to check come spring but chances are the oil will be fine, and your engine will have the protection through the winter months..

email image
9 messages