London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
10 messages
16/10/2013 at 12:47

Hi all 

I am currently a student at Loughborough University in my final year of industrial design and technology. As part of the course we have to investigate and redesign a product.

I have chossen to look into the lawnmower specifically aimed towards an ageing population but am interested in any keen gardeners thoughts and feedback to do with grass cutting as aprt of my research.

How do you prefer to cut your lawn...?

What mower do you use....?

What do you do with the grass cuttings (compost, bin, etc)?

How and where do you store your mower.....?

How often do you cut your lawn....?

Any thing that fustrates you about current lawnmowers/anything you would change...?

Look forward to hearing any feedback or insights you have on the issue.

will be greatly appreciated.

16/10/2013 at 12:54

I only have a very small lawn soprobably not the best feedback but here it is anyway.

How do you prefer to cut your lawn...?    as little as possible?  too small to warrant stripes etc

What mower do you use....?     flymo hover

What do you do with the grass cuttings (compost, bin, etc)?  compost

How and where do you store your mower.....?   shed

How often do you cut your lawn....?  weekly unless being lazy

Any thing that fustrates you about current lawnmowers/anything you would change...?     cuttings box is very small, even on tiny lawn requires empying twice

Hope this helps.

16/10/2013 at 13:11

Many thanks for this feedback.

The emptying issue is something that many people come across, can often make the job of cutting twice as long.

In terms of the flymo do you prefer the hover type to wheel?

Have you experienced problems with its weight before?

thanks

16/10/2013 at 13:20

Hi, I have a couple of petrol mowers that I use (I work as a gardener).  One is a Honda one's a Hayter.  I cut around 20 lawns a week and try to do my own once a week, occasionally twice if it's growing well.  Both my mowers have rear rollers to give a striped effect, the Honda is heavier and does a better job but I have a couple of gardens with steps up/down to lawns and the Hayter has to be used for these gardens as it is lighter.

Grass clippings go into the green waste bin.

Both mowers are stored in a garage but get moved in and out of my vehicle every day.

Only issue I have with mowers with 4 wheels is manoeuvrability especially in small gardens with curved lawns/flower beds in lawns.  Straight lines are fine!  I have seen mowers with one front wheel that swivels which would make it far easier to move around.

Another idea would be electronic ignition for petrol mowers rather than a pull cord which can be difficult to pull if the user isn't that strong.

hope there's some useful info there for you 

16/10/2013 at 13:27

Size of lawn doesnt justify a large mover and generally i think the wheeled type are larger,certainly for storage, the flymo weighs absolutely nothing to me, but that might not be the case for those older.

16/10/2013 at 16:16

The best lawn mower is the one i have had for years,although my husband would disagree.A push mower,involves no petrol,electric,or anything else and has a gentle sound .It is excercise ,it is green and lasts alot longer than the plastic kind.

28/10/2013 at 14:37

This is a subject that is close to my heart at the moment, as I am looking to replace my petrol driven Mountfield mower.  I'm finding it cumbersome now and not easy to manoeuvre.  The cutting box is heavy and needs emptying frequently. The pull cord is becoming harder, the older I get.  I cut our 70'x35' back lawn and 20'x25' front lawn, plus the verge 50'x10' about every 5 days.  I compost the grass clippings. The mower is stored in the garage. I like the stripes, but they soon fade.  Currently, the grass is very long and wet, as we've been on holiday for 2 weeks, and the mower cannot cope!  Good luck with the project.  Hope you can come up with a good solution.

04/11/2013 at 21:24

How do you prefer to cut your lawn...? as long as it's cut........

What mower do you use....?  Petrol

What do you do with the grass cuttings (compost, bin, etc)? green bin

How and where do you store your mower.....? garage

How often do you cut your lawn....? every 10-14 days

Any thing that fustrates you about current lawnmowers/anything you would change...? Petrol mower is heavy and cumbersome. Pull start is getting harder to use.

04/11/2013 at 22:44

use a petrol mower; no stripes as uneven ground; cut once a week; compost cuttings; mower stored in shed; frustrations - as a light weight middle aged female I sometimes don't have enough oomph to start the machine(pull string) when replacing I 'll go for electric start; I like the different levels on my machine (mountfield) as I ned to cut long grass at the beginning of season and after bulbs in the grass have died down; I would like a machine that is robust but lighter to move around as when the grass box is full it becomes difficult to push - I think I'll go for a self propelled model next time. I think I'll also have to come into a fortune to afford this type of machine too!

Lyn
05/11/2013 at 09:23

I very much agree with everyone else. We have a westwood ride on, which OH uses, i had, until this week, a very old large  flymo hover, it collected the grass at the back, or is it front, the latest hovers are useless because the grass collects right over the motor and blade making it very heavy when collecting the grass. Most times we do it often enough so as not to collect, the flymo or rotary blades chop it fine enough to leave as a mulch.

email image
10 messages