Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

leaf mulching

Ever ready to go where angels fear to tread, I decided to do something with the heap of soggy bagged uo leaf stuff from last year. It has been sitting in a corner of wor lotty for all this time, some 9 months and looks like it wants a job. So, I have started trying out a new system. Leaves will break down, but over a long time, compared to other old plant material. I decided to give it a boost, by emptying the sacks , a couple at a time, onto the lawn area, letting it dry a bittie, then, run over the stuf with the mower.

The grass catcher proved invaluable, and soon, I was spreading this nice fine leaf mold all over the beds, the purple sprouting, pea rows, flower beds and strawbs. It has improved the appearance of the place, is so far proving to be a good mulching medium, will be brought down into the soil by da woims, and is something of a no-dig policy. I need to water durng this drought heat wave, but it goes down quite nicely through all the fine mold.

Here are some views of the lotty, and our feathered visitor, old Cocky, the peasant.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

So is that grow your own pheasants?

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

The shed of old windows and doors finally blew over a couple of winters ago, after making a canny diamond shape as the weight of snow leaned it beyond redemption.

Photography can and DOES make things look tidier than it really is. I like the strimmer in the bin method of mashing up the leaves. I'll have to try this one this w/e. I'm also gunna try putting horse muck in the tumbler compster to see what this does, besides a fine perfume across the lotty !  Ahhhhhhh. Summer. The sound of leather on willow and horse crap oop t'lotty !