Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leaky water butt

I was setting up a water butt yesterday to take rainwater from my outbuilding roof only to discover it leaks where the tap is. Would mastic be any good around it or just buy another butt? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

What about sealing it with silicon?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Is that what they use now Dove? Would be a shame to chuck it.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

You can try fishy but I had a similar problem and because the butt kept moving it just wouldnt take, so had to buy a new one in the end.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Thanks for the feedback guys I'll try the sealant and see how it goes. Not that we get any rain these days image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

There's different types of sealant depending on what you're sealing so just make sure you get one for plastics. Perhaps ask someone in the shop if you're unsure.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

if it's just the thread that's gone some PTFE tape may do the trick

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Good thinking Pete- that's the mostly likely reason for the problem and should do the trick image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Roof and gutter sealant, I've used it on both my water butts and never had a leak. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Fish, when we did ours on the allotment i used Plumbers Mate where the washer or tap tightens on to the butt inside and out, its not cheap but seals very well, hence the name, if you go for roof and gutter sealant ,Dont do cheap, get a good one. good luck.

Thanks again folks,what a brilliant forum this is image I think the problem may be a rubber washer that's perished. The butt is second hand so I can't really complain,whatever I get I'll slap it on thick.