Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Loose brick

I noticed today that the end brick on the top of the wall by our driveway has come loose. image

Any suggestions for a quick and simple solution please?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes, that stuff called Sticks like sh*t. We lost a piece of steps when tree surgeons took down a big tree. Stuck it on with that and it's still there after 4 or 5 years.

Last edited: 25 November 2016 16:08:46

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi,Dove from above.You need to chip away the old mortar and re-fit brick with a fresh mortar mix.I think you can get small packs of mortar mix from diy stores.don't do this job if frost is forecast as it will spoilthe integrity of the bond.

• That's what I thought you'd say image (my ex was a builder)  - oh well ... there's a job for the next fine weekend. 

Cheers Peter image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Oh, just spotted Nut's post - it may be simpler to try that in the short term at least - Cheers Nut image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

well worth it Dove. That way you don't lose the nice lichenified mortar.

Those concrete on brick steps at the far end of the garden lost a big chunk when the branch landed. Stuck back on in damp weather and still going strong.

I have no shares in Evo-Stik image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Nut image  I know the steps you mean image

The face of the brick is absolutely smooth, and so is the surface of the mortar and it's still firmly attached to the second brick.  I'll get some at the weekend. 

• I've used Gripfill solvent based for that type of job in the past.It works well on most things, I stuck a pitch pine top (12x6") on 2 9x9" stone posts to form a bench,it's still fine after 15years.

• Thanks Firecracker image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I have 2 2ft square concrete planters and 4-5yrs ago I thought I'd use a spade to empty one of them and used the side of the planter for leverage.

The obvious happened, a sizable irregular chunk broke off, 8-10" long and 2-6" wide
    I don't know why I thought of superglue, but I'm glad I did.
    It used a whole tube, but the mend is almost invisible and it's lasted well.

I use a trowel now to empty them.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hi dovefromabove all are good ideas  but as nutcutlet says use stick llll   but make some chips to in side plaster so it will stick better as you say the lichen will not look right if all cleaned up (don't forget to make some grooves on base so as to stick better )  I have used it a few times and can say it works   gorilla glue is another good one    image make it easy for better half