Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lopper advice

Hi all, I want some new loppers and wondered if people had recommendations.  Need to chop down overgrown ivy coming over from next door, not large stems but old and tough.

Also would bypass or anvil be best for all round performance?

Many thanks.

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    Wilko do a cheap lopper (about ???4) which will do the job providing the growth is not too thick.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Bypass are for cutting live growth, anvil for dead growth

• Flower birdFlower bird Posts: 284

Hi daisy, I am getting some from Wilkso as Igrow says...saw them yesterday for £4....

• hi all thanks for replies...I do have some from b&q I bought years ago very cheap, don't mind paying a bit more this time around if they're good

• Flower birdFlower bird Posts: 284

Garden centre are a good place to buy good ones...that is where I would go..

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I've got Fiskars Powergear, they are amazing.  Really light and easy to use if you're not that strong.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I have Wolf loppers for stems up to about an inch thick.  for anything else I use a Wolf pruning saw attachment on one of their handles.  Very good.  Had both for about 25 years and still going strong.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I have had Wilkinson Sword bypass loppers with a ratchet for years. They are brilliant and very light.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • For ease of operation and capability to tackle tough jobs with ease, I would recommend loppers with a ratchet mechanism.

Mine are Draper 61207 Telescopic Anvil Ratchet Action Loppers with steel handles.....reasonably priced and up to any job.