London (change)
Wed 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
17 messages
12/07/2014 at 10:38

As I was kneeling on the gravel washing seed trays, I thought there has to be a better way of doing this. So am going to make a potting bench that will double up as a pot and tray washing place. This is my design, any improvements you can think of would be gratefully received.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52270.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Edd
12/07/2014 at 11:08

Looks good artjack i made one very similar. I put galvanised sheet over the table top and it has 2 sinks. Its good if you need a extra one for sand or gravel. I do wish i had put shelving above as per your design but i made another shelf unit next to it. Its 3m x 1.1m but i wish i had made the width a bit shorter (about 800cm would have been better so i could reach the back when sweeping up.)

There is a pic here of the one i copied. 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/greenhouse-staging/277492.html

Regards

Edd.

12/07/2014 at 11:10

Hi artjak, that looks wonderful - the curvy back sections really set it off.

The only thing I'd suggest is a solid area on the top bench near the bucket, rather than it all being slatted.  That way the inevitable spilt compost won't fall through and if you can make the top of the bucket flush with the surface (perhaps by supporting it from underneath) you can simply sweep the spillages back into the bucket.

12/07/2014 at 11:16

Thank you Edd and Bob for both of those suggestions.

I was going to use large gravel trays (60x40cm) on the slats, but would love a zinc top; where does one get zinc, how thin should it be so that I can hammer (?) it round the top? Could I cut it with the metal cutting blade on the jig saw?

I have been puzzling over the support for the galvanised bucket I got, supporting it at the bottom is better than wedging it in at the top.

Edd
12/07/2014 at 11:37

I got the sheeting from a scrap yard its about 2mm thick (if that). Yes a jig saw works and i also make the sinks by riveting the edges with sealant in-between the joints so it was water proof. I found a old electric waste disposal unit and attached that so i can chop up my veg and peelings, for the worm bins. 

Have you thought about using old sink units like the one in our houses.They are not as aesthetically pleasing but they do the same job and are very cheep.

Regards

Edd.

12/07/2014 at 11:41

Looks great   You might need a diagonal brace or two to keep it stable.  Do you want to be able to store bags/large tubs of compost or ingredients underneath?  If so it might be better without the shelf there.

Reminds me of the washstands we used to make at Scout camp many years ago.  And we had to find the wood first!

12/07/2014 at 11:52

I thought the same thing Steve  Bit of bamboo, bit of lashing, snake and square  We still make them at guides 

Looks good Artjak 

12/07/2014 at 11:58

I use Japanese and Filipino lashings all the time in the garden.  But proper square lashings when it really matters!

12/07/2014 at 20:30

Edd, I thought of a small caravan type sink, but I need to be able to remove the bucket to fill with compost/water, depending what job needs doing. There is a guy who works in metal on a local farm; I could ask him about zinc.

Steve, thank you for reminding me about diagonal braces - should I have two crossing at the back? And one on each side? I will only be storing pots and seed trays underneath.

Lashings are a bit of a closed book to me, I understand primitive carpentry better

12/07/2014 at 21:06

Don't forget tripod lashing too  V good for a wigwam/teepee 

I'm no good at carpentry Artjak 

12/07/2014 at 21:12

Looks fantastic artjak, look forward to seeing the finished project 

12/07/2014 at 21:16
Very impressed. If you need someone to trial a prototype, just ask....;)
13/07/2014 at 08:59

I only know about lashings of lemonade from Enid Blyton books

Looking at the design this a.m. it does look rather like a double bed head with outdoor urinal for someone with long legs. I might have to make some modifications...

13/07/2014 at 10:26

Your design looks very creative and attractive.  Is it for indoors or outdoors?  I'm just wondering about how well it will stand up to rain and winter wet and cold.

I have long wanted a decent potting bench as the galvanised ones you get for greenhouses are just too small if, like me you're usually busy taking cuttings or dividing clumps for potting up as well as potting on seedlings.   I hit the junk shops and found a small table on a metal frame.   I've taken off the small top and put on a larger slab of marine ply covered in a plastic tablecloth.   

I found an old ceramic sink which I have put on a support under the outside tap so I can wash pots and also stand newly planted pots in it for a good soaking.    There's space to store my bags of grit and compost underneath the table and buckets under the sink.   All my spare pots are stashed on shelving from ex mini plastic greenhouses and now I have an organised work area out of the way at the back of the garage.

13/07/2014 at 14:49

obelixx, it will be outdoors and made from pressure treated timber; total cost £38 ish plus £5 for galvanised bucket. It will go in fron of the double doors to the garage which is my studio. It will be used for potting, washing pots and seed trays and prepping garden veg so I don't have to take muddy veg into the kitchen.

Your bench arrangement sounds very good; any chance of a photo?

13/07/2014 at 16:30

Maybe later when it stops peeing down.  Tuesday by all accounts.  Seriously fed up with being soggy.

13/07/2014 at 17:26

Same here! I keep checking to see if I have developed webbed feet

email image
17 messages