Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Making a potting bench

As I was kneeling on the gravel washing seed trays, I thought there has to be a better way of doing this. So am going to make a potting bench that will double up as a pot and tray washing place. This is my design, any improvements you can think of would be gratefully received.image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi artjak, that looks wonderful - the curvy back sections really set it off. image

The only thing I'd suggest is a solid area on the top bench near the bucket, rather than it all being slatted.  That way the inevitable spilt compost won't fall through and if you can make the top of the bucket flush with the surface (perhaps by supporting it from underneath) you can simply sweep the spillages back into the bucket. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Thank you Edd and Bob for both of those suggestions.

I was going to use large gravel trays (60x40cm) on the slats, but would love a zinc top; where does one get zinc, how thin should it be so that I can hammer (?) it round the top? Could I cut it with the metal cutting blade on the jig saw?

I have been puzzling over the support for the galvanised bucket I got, supporting it at the bottom is better than wedging it in at the top.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Looks great image  You might need a diagonal brace or two to keep it stable.  Do you want to be able to store bags/large tubs of compost or ingredients underneath?  If so it might be better without the shelf there.

Reminds me of the washstands we used to make at Scout camp many years ago.  And we had to find the wood first!

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I thought the same thing Steve image Bit of bamboo, bit of lashing, snake and square image We still make them at guides image

Looks good Artjak image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I use Japanese and Filipino lashings all the time in the garden.  But proper square lashings when it really matters!

Edd, I thought of a small caravan type sink, but I need to be able to remove the bucket to fill with compost/water, depending what job needs doing. There is a guy who works in metal on a local farm; I could ask him about zinc.image

Steve, thank you for reminding me about diagonal braces - should I have two crossing at the back? And one on each side? I will only be storing pots and seed trays underneath.image

Lashings are a bit of a closed book to me, I understand primitive carpentry betterimage

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Don't forget tripod lashing too image V good for a wigwam/teepee image

I'm no good at carpentry Artjak image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,656

Looks fantastic artjak, look forward to seeing the finished project image

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954
    Very impressed. If you need someone to trial a prototype, just ask....;)

I only know about lashings of lemonade from Enid Blyton booksimage

Looking at the design this a.m. it does look rather like a double bed head with outdoor urinal for someone with long legs. I might have to make some modifications...image