London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
8 messages
14/07/2013 at 18:05

My strimmer starts fine but on fully pressing the 'lever' (can't think what it's called) it cuts out...thought it might be the air filter but it looks clean enough...any ideas?

14/07/2013 at 18:46

Nip it back to your supplier and they should sort it out in a jiffy. I had the same problem with a Mitox multi-tool, I think it's the carburetor - a quick adjustment and it should be fine.

15/07/2013 at 13:15

Thanks for that Stuart.

15/07/2013 at 13:57

Sounds like the carburetor to me too.  There is normally a screw you can adjust, but be careful just turn it 1/4  and remeber your starting point

05/08/2013 at 15:54

Finally got round to putting it in to the place I bought it from, which was just over a year ago, thinking it would just be an adjustment required and the guy phoned me this morning to tell me I need a new carburettor which will cost £40. Is this normal for such a new machine or am I being ripped off? I agreed to him putting a new one on but would be interested in your thoughts before I collect it tomorrow.

05/08/2013 at 22:50

Should't need a new carb after a year. It is usually only a diaphragm within the carb which goes and only costs a few quid. You can buy a complete overhaul kit for about a fiver. All you need is the make and model number of the carb which will be marked on it.

06/08/2013 at 20:16

Collected my strimmer today, charged £64 including labour. Paid my bill but let them know I was unconvinced it needed a new carburettor. Having only used it about 8 times, I am sure it didn't. However, this business has ensured that I will never spend a penny with them ever again.

02/10/2014 at 08:55

Similar  problems with Mitox multitool  just out of warrantee and similar worries , The dealer was helpful and tweaked the carb explaining the modern fuel swells the rubber parts therein . But another season in ands the fault is here again .( It's only used a couple of days a year)  This time it won't adust and I fear its a new carb or at very least a full gasket set .   Overall the unit would appear to be of reasonable design and quality , but having lived with it for some time  there are issues. I believe the majority of problems are caused by poor materials  the rubber (elastomers) used in the fuel system are not up to spec and they appear to degrade with UK fuel. The tank grommet is deteriorating and fuel is now leaking .Other plastic parts on the machine have 'crept'  I'm on my third starter pull and its already stiffening up after just six months . The steel used for the recoil spring failed and snapped Just out of warrantee. I have seen all these problems  a lot on far eastern equipment  . They have developed their manufacturing processes but their material science isn't their as yet , to use imported European steels and branded 'DuPont' would add cost to the product, so generic polymers are being used .Mitox are a lot better than some of their other far eastern counterparts but If  are to be recognised as a true quality brand I would suggest their material procurement still requires further addressing.

email image
8 messages