London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
21/06/2013 at 11:28

I have an old rusty drum that has previously been used to burn garden waste etc, is there anything stopping me using it as a compost bin?

I don't want to spend the next 8 or 9 months making compost that will kill anything I put it on!

21/06/2013 at 15:13
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

Bob Flowerdew was once asked on Gardeners' Question Time if it was alright for this lady's husband to put a pint of his pee onto his compost heap each week.

"NO,NO,NO" said the great man in a loud voice..."IT SHOULD ALL GO ON THERE!"

Very funny Wonderboy.

21/06/2013 at 15:16
fidgetbones wrote (see)

I think thats a lovely compost bin,Molly. I've got green plastic daleks, black plastic tardis, and a green plastic rotol. All horrible looking so I hide them behind fence panels.

Aww Thankyou sweetie. I stayed away from the plastic compo's, I thought it would create sweating, causing mold. I do however like the fact you refer to them as daleks.  Good idea to hide them though...

21/06/2013 at 15:19
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

I'm rather impressed too. Only one observation, is it mounted on bricks. Compost bins don't usually have bottoms and are laid straight on the soil. This lets the worms in and allows the moisture to drain away.

Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

Good point Zoomer, and I would be concerned about vermin nesting underneath. Dry and warmth may attract some unwelcome friends.

Thankyou friends, I will remove the bottom this weekend. Makes sense & he's me wondering how the worms got inside.  Blonde moment..

21/06/2013 at 15:24
TiddyMun wrote (see)

I have an old rusty drum that has previously been used to burn garden waste etc, is there anything stopping me using it as a compost bin?

I don't want to spend the next 8 or 9 months making compost that will kill anything I put it on!

TiddyMun, I can't help you on this matter but, I'm sure the Gardeners will advise, they are very knowledgeable.

21/06/2013 at 15:59

Molly, it is true that not many worms come equiped with crampons and ropes, so the bin does need to be on the ground, and as someone else said that helps it to drain if it gets very wet.  My imagination ran away with me, imagining the worms on a climbing expedition up the bricks......  mind, the slugs seem to manage well enough up the walls and the water butts into the hostas!!

21/06/2013 at 18:16

Too funny.   Nothing surprises me when it comes down to those lil critters. As for my Hosta, this is the second year & I have not had anything nibble at it. But its in a pot, on a slab, on the summer house porch, one can never be too careful.

21/06/2013 at 18:51

Tiddymun... go for it... you can only fail!... who knows until you try.

21/06/2013 at 19:06

By the by, Tiddymum, I can think of no reason why your drum won't work for compost, but you will need to make some drainage holes in it, and I don't know if  you will want to do that?

21/06/2013 at 20:03

Thanks everyone. I can't see that it should be too toxic, and as pointed out, worth a gamble. Will just be careful what I put it on until I'm sure.

Incidentally, there are already holes in it, due to it's previous life as a garden burner.

Thanks again for the advice.

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages