Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New fork handle to old fork tine

Please help..I have a lovely fork,the handle snapped/split and I've bought a gorgeous new ash shaft for the old fork handle....I have hacksawed the bolts off the old fixing and tried to dig out the bits of old wood.....please tell me the easiest way to fix the two together!!!!  HELP! and no, I'm not going to buy a whole new fork!?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    http://www.kitchencountereconomics.com/2010/04/18/tool-repair-garden-fork/

The above link ( which I'm afraid you'll have to copy and paste) seems very clear.
  • emma2emma2 Posts: 2

Great info, looks idiot proof! Thank you very much.Absolutely perfect.Guess what I'll be doing at the weekend!Also found out about growing ginger on this website which I wanted to find out about....brilliantimage

• Hi, there used to be a program on ITV years ago ,I think it was times past  i am not quite sure but if my memory serves me a man who had broken his fork handle built a fire and placed the steel part of the fork into the flames , when the scocket had got good and red he knocked out the old broken wood, Having imerced the new handle in a bucked of water ,to swell the new shaft he hammerd it into the fork.

hope this helps D

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

If you swell the shaft before you hammer it in it will become loose when it dries out.

I always put a securing bolt through the hole, but ensure it won't catch your hand when you are digging.