London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
5 messages
19/08/2012 at 16:21

ive planted three young holly plants at the end of my garden in the hope of forming a sort of hedge.  only question is, as im an impatient gardener, how & when do i prune these plants to help them grow fuller?

I have about two foot between each plant, id like them about six foot tall eventually.  They have been in the ground for about six months now and are about three foot tall but still look really small.

19/08/2012 at 17:24

Patience  

They are busy growing new roots.  Next spring they will start to put on some new growth but hollies are not fast growers so you are going to have to work on your patience quotient   In the spring you could give them a sprinkle of some Blood, Fish and Bone fertiliser which will help.

I wouldn't prune them until they are about a foot taller than you want the hedge, then take the top 12" out.  They will then begin to bush out a bit.

In years to come I would do the regular hedge trimminng  in late summer to ensure that all nesting birds have left and so that any new growth following the trimming isn't damaged by frost.

19/08/2012 at 18:19
Gaz, gardening is all about patience!
19/08/2012 at 18:31
Holly is notoriously slow at first but will make. Good hedge in reasonable time. I prune mine as comes. Mimicking their natural,style. Are they the green ones or,variegated? Yep, patience is required. Use secateura to cut back to double shoots on stems...pinching back really. Don't let lanky shoots grow without pinching back. Don't know where in country,you are but you should be able to do this from early spring to late summer
20/08/2012 at 11:44

thanks guys for all your help. I'm quite new to this gardening lark (only really started this year) and do have a lack of patience which I will have to work on.  Lucky enough I have plenty more to get on with.

Thanks again for your tips.

email image
5 messages