London (change)
Today 16°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/02/2015 at 13:15

My two sheds are very rough and ready, read cheap.. and built in situ for the odd shaped corners they occupy but on both I opted for corrugated transparant plastic roof. You do not really need a window then either. Never seen that in a retail shed though and will nothing for insulation being so thin.

22/02/2015 at 00:29
I've just bought a 14x10 shed which I intend to use as a pottery studio. I'm at a loss to know how to insulate it as there seems to be conflicting advice on the web. There will be a fair amount of moisture in the air due to the pots drying out, but I will have an electric heater in there when I'm working.
Any thoughts and ideas gratefully received !
2catsandrea
22/02/2015 at 12:39

If you're making pottery I assume there's a kiln involved.  To be honest my first concern would be fireprooofing around that.  For insulation I would be inclined to use the type of panel mentioned in a previous post with something like marine ply on the inside.  If the shed has a pitched roof there will probably be a gap between the walls and the eaves of the roof so ventilation shouldn't be a major issue.  You could always add air vents near the bottom of the door to improve air flow.

22/02/2015 at 15:25

I found condensation in the winter was a major problem in a heated shed. I use to use what is now my potting shed for hobbies in the winter. As soon as the electric heater was turned on, water would start running down the windows. I think that is something to solve before going ahead with it 2catsandrea,  ours is heavily glazed on one side though which probably didn't help the situation.

22/02/2015 at 15:50

My potting shed is one end of the garage , used for storage. We have mice in there, though the bird food is in a plastic dustbin and there is nothing else for them to eat. They are very energy efficient - they love polystyrene for making their nests, (I keep some for the bottom of large pots) and they chewed a hole right into the middle of a new roll of bubble wrap, which I only found when I was about to insulate the grenhouse.  Roll was useless!

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages