London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
16 messages
17/03/2014 at 18:22

My wormery never really got back into shape after I had a population crash some time ago so I need to get some new ones and here the problem starts. What type of worms to get?? There seems to be three main types that are used but different sellers says different things. A couple of sites say tiger worms are the best quoting a PhD study that says they cope better with acidity and moisture. Then the next site says the same about the dendras (without the scientific reference). Some uses a mix. I think mine came with dendras but I can't any of my paperwork for the wormery.

What are peoples experience of different types of worms? I am leaning towards tiger because of my massive tea consumption.

Edd
18/03/2014 at 14:53

This should help Swedboy. Did you find out what caused your population crash?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/vermicomposting-for-begginers/255110.html

Edd
18/03/2014 at 16:53

Hello again Swedboy.

How long ago was system collapse? You might find that the worms that left of died have left worm eggs and they have now established. Check you old bin before you start BUYING worms. There really is no need to buy them. even in Bristol!

Read the thread and then try your local allotments and cattle farmers as they always  have old compost heaps and they might allow you to re-establish your bins with worms. Any piles of grass or leaf mould will have them. Have a think and try your local parks and schools.

Regards

Edd.

18/03/2014 at 19:19

Quite an interesting thread you had there!

Probably over 1.5 half ago. There is the odd worm (less than 10 in all three levels) in the bin and some very thin white ones that looks like Japanese rice noodles. I think it got too wet and that caused the population to crash. I tried to add kitchen paper towels, shredded newspaper and cardboard but instead of helping out it only formed clusters instead that didn't break down properly.

My compost never looked as good as yours. Having quite a lot of half broken down stuff.

The kind of worms I have is dendrobaena. I should also mention that I drink quite a lot of loose leaf tea and close to 50% of the stuff I add is probably tea leaves.

I shall see if my colleague who has an allotment might know someone with a worm supply 

Edd
18/03/2014 at 21:31

Swedboy. You say "Probably over 1.5 half ago." I presume you mean 'years'  Have you emptied the bin??? Have you checked  to see what life you have got or have you just left it for dead. ( you will be amazed what will be in there now)

Believe me when i say there is no neeed! to buy worms . Mix 70/40 cardboard/ newspaper with food scraps and shove it in a ice cream carton,  with a few holes in the bottom and then they will breed. ( aged food and bedding for a week)

Crushed egg shells will help at this time of year. ( i say crushed but i mean oven dried and pulverised in a blitzer, like coarse grit.)

You know what they look like so stop pratting about and farm them. In 3 weeks time, they will be laying eggs and then in 2 weeks after they can go outside ( not that there is any harm now)  Not sure what your setup was Swedboy, but you sound like you looked into this and had a go but you gave up. 

Check under your pots outside, and find them. Pick them up and give them a new home.

Put them in a small box and watch them grow. When you get too many, put them outside or better still pass them on to a new compost heap, Just like your request.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER, Pay for worms. There is no need, in this country .

Kind regards

Edd.

18/03/2014 at 23:47

I'm still using it. Have had the tower thing for about three years. The amount of worms I mention was after digging around in it on Sunday. I overwinter it in my coal cellar as it is too cold outside during winter. I don't feed it during this time as it is under ten degrees in there. They usually go out in April again. I think the wet summer two years ago crashed the population and it never picked up again. 

sounds like I should try to fish the ones I have out and restart it again.

Edd
19/03/2014 at 00:43

I have had them outdoors in my pallet bin and when i went to check last winter they were in frozen solid in a big clumps!! I thought they had had it~!!

They survived after. look at the photo of my outdoor bin.

Edd.

PS. when you say tower do you mean a stacking bin system like my green tub set up?

Edd
19/03/2014 at 01:15
You also mentioned.
Swedboy wrote (see)

Quite an interesting thread you had there!

There is the odd worm (less than 10 in all three levels) in the bin and some very thin white ones that looks like Japanese rice noodles. 

The thin white worms are 'pot worms' and do no harm to the system whatsoever. They are part of the system and will out number the red wigglers at a rate of 10-1. Do not worry about them. If you do not like the look of them then add fresh food (not aged) on top and they will come to the top, looking like a wet bandage, around the side of the box. Then you can spoon them off the sides and give them to anyone with goldfish or tropical fish as they love to eat them.

Regards

Edd.

19/03/2014 at 08:09

Ah. I wish I had known this last September! My worms died in the floods of 2012 - the bin was flooded! I paid  a small sum for a small packet of worms and am delighted to say they have survived in the greenhouse over winter. They have bred and now I have lots of worms. 

28/03/2014 at 18:27

I have an empty 3 tier wormery ,how do I get it started, I do not want to use cooked food. Many thanks

Edd
28/03/2014 at 19:49

Mother Dove! We need your luck please.

Please bless me as i know exactly what i am about to do and say (where is artjak). do not worry Elaine Turner.

You are a blessing in disguise.

You have the perfect system and the perfect time of year.

Can i ask you to search and read 'vermicompost for beginners'

09/04/2014 at 19:31

Hello,

Just finished reading through Edd's 'Vermicompost for Beginners' and have decided to give it a go. Does anyone know where I may find some suitable worms in the Manchester area. I tried googling but results were either in Manchester, NY, Ontario (I need UK) or down in Essex and quoting £30 for 1KG plus extra for delivery.

10/04/2014 at 08:36
10/04/2014 at 08:59
But they are expensive... You could ask for brandlings at your local fishing tackle shop.
18/05/2014 at 15:20

The wormery has picked up since I posted this but I still have problem with paper content. I have added newspaper and cardboard boxes to it but what seems to happen is that the paper just clumps together and doesn't break down very well. In the end it tends to be like fragments of paper that doesn't break down. I don't have  shredder so I have to tear the newspaper by hand into fine strips and pieces. Is this a result of too big pieces or of too wet wormery? It doesn't smell bad nor feel to wet to the touch.

25/05/2014 at 00:03

I got all my worms from the garden about a year ago and there still fine and doing well.get some paper and compost put it on the ground and cover it with an old carpet and ceep it damp. You will have a never endless supply of composting worms.all of these companies that sell them are selling you something you already have thousands of,.wake up people, There worms!

email image
16 messages