London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
8 messages
SJT
10/04/2014 at 19:09

Can anyone tell me how long it will take before a newly planted hawthorn hedge (planted as bare root plants) will begin to bud?

I planted the hedge about two weeks ago and nothing much is happening yet.

10/04/2014 at 19:17

I would expect action very soon. My hawthorn are all leafed up and some in flower. Don't let the soil get dry but don't over water. I find watering in and a mulch is the best way to go

10/04/2014 at 19:18

Nothing much visible will happen yet - those bare roots are growing and developing and establishing so that they can take in all the water and nutrients needed for the top to grow - until that's happened nothing can happen up top.

In fact, nothing much other than some small leaves may happen at all this year - next spring your hedge should begin to grow 

SJT
11/04/2014 at 06:18

Thank you Dovefromabove - I thought it would take some time for the roots to establish but had no idea how long. I'm in the northeast of Scotland so it is still quite cold here, which is why I left it until March to plant.

The vast majority of the plants show signs of lifeli One or two do not but that is to be expected I imagine and I have spares heeled in. 

11/04/2014 at 06:26

As Nut says, the hedge will leaf up before too long - you will be quite a bit later up there than down here!!!  And also as she says, mulching and keeping the base clear of grass and weeds is important, particularly while the hedge is young - this way the hedge will get all the moisture and nutrients that are available instead of being robbed by weeds whose roots are nearer the surface.  

A hawthorn hedge is a lovely thing and can be part of the landscape for centuries - a slow start is a steady one. 

SJT
11/04/2014 at 07:26

Thank you all.

There is nothing in the garden at the moment other than a rather ugly chain link fence and the site is quite windy. (I border a links golf course.) The soil is very sandy and free draining, so I have improved with topsoil and have mulched and am watering well.

The hedge is mainly hawthorn but I have planted a few dog rose in amongst it here and there. I was inspired by a hedge running along a coastal path in Devon - much warmer there than in Scotland, of course, but there is plenty of hawthorn around here so it should be hardy enough.

I am hoping that in several years time my hedge will be a haven for birds and other wildlife.

11/04/2014 at 07:51

Not too much water - don't want it to feel cold and wet - roots need air too  

I'm so glad you've put the dog roses in as well - when the hedge gets going you could put some native bluebells in, and some foxgloves, Ragged Robin etc .............. it'll be wonderful.

11/04/2014 at 07:56

It'll be fine SJT. Hawthorn will survive everything the Scottish climate throws at it! Hawthorn hedges are only just getting a green haze here - I'm 10 miles south of Glasgow - so don't worry. My bare root Blackthorn is only beginning to show signs of life now - most of it was planted last November. The rest was heeled in and a few bits planted last month.

email image
8 messages