London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
8 messages
18/08/2013 at 23:43

Good evening all!

I am very new to gardening.

I am currently working on a design project where I have to design a non motorised weed spreader. (Granules)

I was wondering if I could invite you to an open platform to express your frustrations with weed spreaders you are currently using or have had experiece with in the past?

Have you had any good or bad experiences in the past? If so what are they? What frustrates you about current products on the market? What do you like or dislike, and why? What would you make better? What would be a reasonable price to pay?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

A

18/08/2013 at 23:47

I don't want anything that will spread my weeds, Thank you.

If you mean something for spreading granular fertiliser, there is already something on the market that you roll along and it evenly spreads weed n feed .

If you google fertiliser spreader, you wll find lots of examples.

19/08/2013 at 07:57

Don't you just throw the stuff around? 

19/08/2013 at 08:14

The best weed spreaders are dandelions, sycamore trees and cleavers in my garden!  

19/08/2013 at 10:21

Yep, dont need any help - motorised or not - with spreading weeds in my garden either!!

Sorry Amjad, but I think you'll get loads of comments like this!

On a more helpful note - I personally wouldnt use a spreader to distribute weed killer granules incase plants I do want to keep are killed off by mistake so will stick to the old fashioned way of hoeing, hand weeding & Roundup! Good luck with your project though - hope you are sucessful!

19/08/2013 at 19:14

Hello all!

Apologies, it was getting late when I posted the add. I mean a non-motorised chemical granule spreader.

I am aware that there are spreaders on the market, I am looking to identify any problems with current products.

Chemical spreaders do exist. So far I have noticed non-calibration issues. ie too much weed killer is being distributed resulting in dead grass or too much killer being used because people are unaware of how to calibrate the spreader. 

If anyone has had any problems please feel free to jump in.

Thanks again. 

19/08/2013 at 20:36

I have a spreader for my lawn and from one year to the next I might buy a different make of product or different product depending on my need and special offers eg just lawn feed or lawn feed and weed or mosskiller plus weed and feed....there is no way I can vary how much of the product is spread and I can't find any marking on the spreader to say how much is being spread per m. I just have to rely on all the companies being about the same overall.

Lyn
19/08/2013 at 21:19

I bought a cheap one, about 15.00 from Amazon, its brilliant, you can regulate the flow very simply, its much quicker, reliably spreading the killer or fertalizer, just dont go within 6 ft of your borders because they have a very wide spread.

email image
8 messages