Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Okay to place water butt against house wall?

Hi

We have a new water butt and will be placing it against the wall of the house, close to the necessary guttering.  Our builder is talking about damp proofing the wall behind the water butt to prevent any damage.  Is this necessary?  I would have thought most people position their water butts near houses (because of the easy access to guttering) and it seems unlikely that every installation of a water butt would require treatments to the walls.  The wall is rendered and painted rather than bare bricks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

As long as you direct the overflow away from the house I can't see what the problem is. A bit of an air gap might be a good idea as well

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

one of mine is next to the house and collects all rain water and runs off on to the second  water butt which then flows into the pond to keep it clear,and long as it is fix well its fine,ours as been there for years no problem.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Providing the water butt is properly installed there shouldn't be a problem, but I suppose a coat of damp proofing sealant wouldn't do any harm and if the builder thinks that the render might be suspect it might be a good idea - it might stop it developing that green algae that sometimes grows in damp dark corners. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Okay, thank you.  We thought we could use a rain trap like this one, is that suitable?

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

That's the set up we have next to our house but note that they have a big loop in their pipe which is not the way they should be installed, it needs to be horizontal.

That's very helpful, thank you Mrs G!

ETA:  On closer examination, it doesn't look as thought it's possible for that pipe to be horizontal.  The end that attaches to the butt is at a right angle, and the end that attaches to the drainpipe end is vertical, thereby necessitating the curve in the pipe.  Is there an alternative to this model?  It's the only one I can find. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Is he suggesting a damp course, or just a bit of damp proofing painted on?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Scroggin, I agree 100% with the touting for work idea!  That's why I came straight here to check.  The link in my earlier post shows you the type I was considering and there is a picture on that page showing the internal workings.

Dove, he's suggesting damp proofing painted on. 

Any ideas where I find a different type of rain trap?  All the results I've found link to that product, the one with the curved pipe, it's everywhere.  Should I use a different search term?   How do I find one with a horizontal feed?

ETA:  I should really ask what's the difference between a rain trap and a diverter kit?  

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I have the same as scrogggin so can't help if it's a different one, sorry.