Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Orec Grh 537 Vs As Motor 531 2 cycle

High guys, in the early months of next year i would like to change my 1997 Japanese commercial grade John Deere lawn mower. I cannot make my mind up between the Orec Grh 537 with hydro drive, high lift blade and with an air duct next to the ejection chute to improve airflow to the bag for better collection. The engine is a Honda GXV 160. The German made As has a 2 cycle manifactured by them, but i do not have many information on their 2 cycle, if it is reliable or harder to start than the Gxv. Does anyone of you have experience with the collection mowers of these two brands?Hope some of you guys knows these machine and can help me to make my mind up. Thank you

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

The lovely Dovefromabove has been trying to find someone to help you Paolo, unfortunately none of us seem to know much about lawnmowers. It is all a bit technical for me, however I know my OH has a Honda engine in his petrol mower and he says there is no better mower in his opinion.

I thought I would just pop by and say hello and welcome, I'm sure eventually someone will help you more. image

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Neither brand is common in the UK (although they are available) so the information pool here is likely to be fairly small. Honda engines have a good reputation.

2 stroke engines in garden machinery are normally simple reliable designs but still need proper maintenance. Most problems are fuel related. If the AS engine uses a common brand of carburetor such as Zenith or Zama then spares will be easy to find.

AS also make a version of the 531 with a Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engine which might make engine spares easier to find.