London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
18/10/2013 at 14:29

how about some euphorbia in your full sun patch? there are lots to choose from (decisions, decisions), quite a range of colours and sizes. My particular faves are Silverswan (medium size, silvery foliage) and mellifera - this last one not particularly dazzling to look at but has the most wonderful scented flowers in early spring. Grows quite tall and multi-branched over time. It will tolerate light shade as long as it gets sun for a good part of the day.

18/10/2013 at 14:35

i have the same trouble.. new path going in and some nive big new borders to fill but i have taken cuttings etc throughout the last year or two ready for this anticipated event.. so loads of plants just small.. and hoep they pick up for next year.. cant wait to see how it all looks..

and i am sure i will have to move some!

18/10/2013 at 19:01

Diana, gold flame is a yellow shrub in early spring, for me at any rate, and then makes a orange mound.  I remove  would be flowers by clipping a couple of times during the season.  It makes a superb foliage shrub that grows almost anywhere.  It quickly forms a medium size shrub.   There are other yellow spireas too.  Try euphorbia Polychroma .....this is a fantastic looking plant throughout spring and early summer making a mound of sulphur yellow flowers and is so easy and reliable.  Get Anchusa Lodden royalist in alongside or behind for a (corny) brilliant yellow and blue association.  You will get some good comments..... I guarantee it

27/06/2014 at 12:23

Hi guys,

This is the thread that from which you helped me with my new border last year.  And here it is....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50943.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50944.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

Needs to knit together a bit more but it is its for its first season. Thanks all!

The space at the front is for a low hedge  - planned to go it this autumn.  Ypou've also helped me choose that (another thread(.

27/06/2014 at 12:27

Cor, my typing went a bit wrong there!

27/06/2014 at 12:40

Looking good Snoodle   Which achillea is that?

27/06/2014 at 12:45

It's Terracotta (from Crocus.co.uk)  If you look carefully you may also see some lilac wisps in front (re other thread...should be red...)

27/06/2014 at 12:47

Dove, the Bonica is top right of first photo.

27/06/2014 at 12:48

Looks wonderful Supernoodle 

You must be very proud of your efforts

I like that achillea too and are those the shasta daisies I saw on another thread?

27/06/2014 at 12:48

Plan is to put a Standard Rose (got my eye on Grace - apricotty colour) behind the Bonica. 

27/06/2014 at 12:51

Yes, Victoria Sponge (you always make me hungry ), they are the Shasta daisies.  Two of the three keeled over in the heat and Verdun and Nut helped me deal with them.  They were pot bound and hadn't established into the border soil.  Cut back now and hoping they'll recover. Not much sign of growth but still green so not dead yet!  

27/06/2014 at 12:58

I'm sure they'll be fine - clump 3 looks right as rain

I'm a bit hungry too now you mention it...

27/06/2014 at 13:38

Looking good there Supernoodle ..  Like it a lot ......planted achillea terracotta recently too.  Easy to dIvide too.

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages