London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
22/09/2013 at 09:43

Hi, I'm having a path and patio laid in my garden, after which I intend to plant up a few perennials beds.

I was hoping it would be done by now so perfectly in time for autumn planting but it's been delayed.

How late into autumn would it be better to wait til spring? if early Nov should I wait til March?

I'm particularly keen to do the full sun, slightly sloping, south facing site as that's need a lot of water nest year if plants not established. Let's call this site A.

There's two others: B west, part shade. C east, full sun.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on timing and whether you'd think differently for sites A, B and C.

Thanks!

22/09/2013 at 09:49

depends what they are and how big they are. I dig up, split up, plant things and fiddle around on good days right through the winter. 

But some things I'd leave til spring.

What have you got? 

22/09/2013 at 09:52

I share nuts' sentiments here.  Size of plants and type is important....so can you give more info Supernoodle?.......

22/09/2013 at 09:53

It's time we were out there in the garden Verdun

Lovely day here.

see you later

22/09/2013 at 09:53

I share nut's sentiments here.  Size of plants and type is important....so can you give more info Supernoodle?.......

22/09/2013 at 09:54

Oky doky nut.  Will take my dog first tho

22/09/2013 at 23:24

Cheers guys.  Plants not been bought yet- needling to hurry up if going for this year.  It'll be small shrubs, eg hebes, small rhododendrons, abelia, plus some fillers such as crocosmia, iris, echinacea...  Generally going for hardy low maintenance. 

Your comments make me think it'll be ok.  I hope to get going by end Oct. A and B are at the higher end of the garden so will be warmer. 

23/09/2013 at 00:05

No to echinacea....leave till spring.

Those shrubs,,if in 1 litre size or larger, will be fine plus the iris, crocosmia, etc

Can I  recommend a variety of abelia called Confettii?  It is a beauty.  Lovely greyish white foliage, small leaves, white flowers and a nice compact shape and size.  

23/09/2013 at 08:16

Oh yes, please do recommend small shrubs! I'm rather overwhelmed (and excited!) by the blank canvas and amount of choice! I'm looking for things up to, say 80cm, and smaller, and bushy habit.

Am I right in thinking that the echinacea will be short lived anyway, so will need replacing? I just like them, so what to give them a go.

My thoughts are to get a wide variety of shrubs and see what does well and then adjust from there.

im also planning to get bare root ground cover roses to cover a small but steep bank around the patio - so it's nestled in roses.

Very excited, but very short on time (work full time and a mum).  

23/09/2013 at 08:32

Morning Supernoodle.  It depends on variety with echinaceas. ,I love em amd grow many varieties.  Best to protect.

Small shrubs?  Pittosporum Tom Thumb is a shiny black purple shrub and is evergreen.  V nice foliage comfrast. Santolina is a silver aromatic mound.  

Did you test your soil....? PH?  If acid dwarf Rhodos, azaleas, dwarf pieris, etc will fit the bill.

Dwarf evergreen hebes come in many foliage colours.  But loads of small shrubs

What about herbaceous perennials like aster frikartii monch?  This grows to about 3' in full flower and flowers for weeks amd weeks.  Lavendar blue...superb next to silver plants like artemisia Powys castle (this is Evergreen, silver dome and very tactile). Some nice compact perennials would add excitement to a small shrub planting.

Yep, an exciting project Supernoodle but jot down a sketch with possible plants first

23/09/2013 at 08:48

Soil is clay. Rhodendrons, azalea and pieris growing well elsewhere in garden. Not yet done test of new site but intend to see if its acid enough for calluna.  

Id come across pittosporum TT last night online so good to get a recommendation, ta.

i like lavenders, and cotton lavender too, and thymes.  But not sure if soil too heavy. I intend to push one or two in and see how they go. Rescue and pot up if not happy.

ive started trying to draw.  Just doing "shapes" at mo, to try to avoid straight lines.  It's a gentle slope so how to do the heights is less obvious! Any tips gratefully received!

i like that the two beds either side of the patio will be roughly symmetrical but because one full side and one part shade will have different plants. Good fun to plan.

23/09/2013 at 14:26

Supernoodle.  If rhododendrons, etc grow there then Callunas will too. Look out for Erica Arborea Alberts Gold.  Lovely yellow foliage, comifer looking, erect, tactile with honey scented flowers.  Kalmias too in your soil.  For lavendars I would add plenty of grit in the planting hole. Not evergreen but a yellow grass called hackonochloa is absolutely stunning in heavy soil.  From early spring to late summer it is beautiful.  It has strands of red and orange in it and great for cascading or edging.  Check this one out. And to complement it add a red Heuchera called Berry Smoothy.  

25/09/2013 at 19:44

Re rhododendrons. I know they are woodland plants and actually prefer dappled shade.  Most say they are ok in full sun though.  It that definitely true - so I can get several - or should I be more cautious?

25/09/2013 at 19:49

Re rhododendrons. I'm aware they are woodland plants and so prefer dappled shade but most labels say full sun also ok.  Is that really true or should I be more cautious that they won't do so well?

25/09/2013 at 20:23

Hi, if your plants are of a good size I think now is a great time to plant out. The soil is warm and the weather is still mild, great for putting on roots in the ground for next year

26/09/2013 at 00:07

Hiya supernoodle

Dwarf Rhodos and dwarf azaleas will be fine in full sun....mine are in full sun.  Some little gems with tiny leaves too.  Varieties with pale yellow flowers can be bleached by hot sun though,so avoid those.

I grow a couple of dwarf comifers.....juniperus blue star is slow growing and small with the bluest possible foliage.  Put a yellow shrub....spiraea gold flame, santolina lemon fizz, etc., ......beside it.  Dwarf comifers like  ceyotomeria globose nana is a tight emerald green dome and this would look good too

26/09/2013 at 06:48

Oooh it's soooo hard to choose!  i keep changing my mind.   I'd decided exactly what to have around the patio part and then last night I completely changed my mind to a rose hedge.   I had earlier considered a mix of confer and shrub or rose but couldn't decide which conifers! Now Verdun has suggested some I'm back in a quandary! 

I've decided I preferred doing the dry shade area - less choice is much easier!  "Problem" areas are actually the least problematic for an indecisive girl!

26/09/2013 at 08:18

I have the same problem Snoodle. Too much choice is always hard! If there are particular colours you like that's a good starting point. You can repeat plant groups too so that you can link areas that may otherwise have a different look. That stops it all looking a bit haphazard and gives a nice unified look.

26/09/2013 at 08:29

Yes, but it's fun planniNg tho isn't it?  Whatever you plant Supernoodle I'm sure it will be just fine.  It has to express YOU too so what you like yourself is important

16/10/2013 at 13:15

I find that spiraea Goldflame has red-gold new foliage and distinctly pink flowers when grown on clay soil. Wouldn't call it a yellow shrub at all.

What about a small golden choisya in the sunny bed? Mine is flowering (rather unexpectedly) at the moment, while its green cousin only flowers much earlier in the year.

I recommend bugle as ground cover for its bronze foliage all year and startling blue flower spikes in spring. Mine prefers sun to shade, where it grows more slowly.

1 to 20 of 33 messages