London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
8 messages
16/06/2013 at 19:38

I'm new so be gentle I've just bought a new house with a fair size garden, I've got a bosch rotak electric mower but I will need a hell of an extension cable, so I need a petrol push mower and looking at a b&s mcculloch from argos £150 or £199 but unsure how good they are, I know its better to replace oil and filters yearly or more to add longevity for the machine so anyone bought,used or just knowledge of these cheapo machines  

16/06/2013 at 20:07

Hi Seboni, we're gentle with everyone - even the old tough ones! 

I'm no authority on petrol mowers, but thought that this might be helpful http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1149896&d=0 

16/06/2013 at 21:05

just got a Mountfield from Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-sp184-45cm-petrol-rotary-self-propelled-lawn-mower/78685

seems pretty nice but has only been used twice

16/06/2013 at 22:07

Hi Seboni, I have a Hayter Spirit, bit more expensive than McCullouch but runs well.  Also have a Honda HRX426QX which is expensive but heck of a good mower.  I'd definitely go for an auto drive model (self propelled) as obviously they are on the heavy side If you have to manually push it.  Have you looked at Viking mowers, think they are part of the Stihl group and have good reviews, not sure on price range though.

16/06/2013 at 22:45

I have a Mountield. I have had it for several years and it goes well. If I were to buy again I think I might pay the extra for either a self propelled one or more likely a push start button because as a 'light weight lady'....I sometimes don't have enough oomph to pull start mine!

16/06/2013 at 22:52

The manual ones are hard work- even for someone reasonably young and fit- if it's a big area you have to cut. I'd go for the self propelled! My ex accidentally bought a replacement for his and didn't check the box properly....oops! Had to go out and get yet another one- the right one that time fortunately  

They were Mountfields and not hideously expensive - about £200.

24/06/2013 at 08:27

Had one for free new neighbour 

24/06/2013 at 14:26

I'm not sure exactly what McCulloch you're looking at, but I bought the McCulloch M40-125 Petrol Mower from Toolbox.co.uk, here: Petrol Push Mower

I've had it for around 6 months now and it hasn't let me down yet. Its around your budget, and may in fact be the exact one you're looking at from Argos.

The mower took a couple of uses to warm up but after that it was spot on!

My garden is very long and this mower deals with it just fine, the capacity is pretty good for its size and mobility is also great. (My garden is filled with the kids climbing frames and slides.)

If you need anymore information on it or advice just give me a shout!

-Harry

email image
8 messages