London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
11 messages
16/04/2012 at 10:32

I need a petrol strimmer and i am completely baffled as to what i need.

I'm going to be the one using it so it can't be too heavy and it needs to be fairly heavy duty as i have a field of weeds to maintain about in about a 3rd of an acre. ( i'm slowly converting it to kitchen garden and orchard.

does anyone have any advice? local DIY stores worse than useless, as they thought i was a mad woman asking to try on harnesses!

thanks Jo

20/04/2012 at 15:08

Hi Jo,

Can't really be much help I'm afraid,except to say don't get a Flymo XLT - I did because it seemed just the job and was quite cheap - but it's been difficult to use and has needed fixing twice. I think the moral is buy the best you can afford.

20/04/2012 at 16:25

Hi Jo, have you considered using a scythe, instead? Nice article here

Kate

20/04/2012 at 17:16

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/brush-cutter-trimmer.asp

Think about whether you want a strimmer or a brushcutter.The latter is more expensive but has interchangeable heads so you can replace the plastic corded strimmer head with a metal blade that will cut through tree saplings up to an inch thick. I had a Ryobi brushcutter and it was terrific for shifting brambles and saplings as well as grass and soft weeds. I had to clear several acres of rough growth under trees in a woodland and it lasted me for 15 years. The shoulder strap balances it so that it is easy to manipulate. 

22/04/2012 at 18:22

I have recently begun a gardening business so i was comparing alot of mowers trimmers and strimmersa etc i decided on a macalister petrol strimmer from b and q they are by no means a large brand but at £100 i am rather pleased its heavy duty and great and clearing large areas double outlet bump release syetem to only down fall there is no harness but i made one 

27/04/2012 at 12:10

I have a Stihl split shaft, with an attachment for strimmer and brush cutter, but then I bought an attachment for the strimmer so it takes 3 or 6 lengths of strim line. Don';t use the brushcutter much as the strimmer has either 6 or 12 blades with the lines. The Oh can't use it, says it's too heavy, but I am only 5'3 and don't have a problem. I can't abide the harnesses either. But I spose it is a heavy bit of kit. But once you get used to it it's fine.  I wouldn't buy anything froma DIY store for heavy duty work like a field. It needs to be a good machine and you get what you pay for.

30/04/2012 at 21:33

google sthil model fs50 and see what you think around £200 but as previous backyardee says you get what you pay for

13/07/2013 at 23:29

Take a look at the Stihl Kombi system.  I have recently purchased a KM130 unit and I have several of the attachments.  I could not be happier with it and I have the harness from Stihl too which makes using the unit for long period far easier.  I did own a Ryobi expand it before the Stihl and found the vibration really bad and when it came to getting it repaired no one would touch it.  So I had to dig deeper into my pockets to get the Stihl, but to be honest its money well spent.  I got the top power unit (KM130) which cost double what a Ryobi unit is , but the KM56 is of similiar price.  As they say you get what you pay for.

14/07/2013 at 16:57

having tried other strimmers (electric and petrol) i've now got a sthil fs 40, never gives me a moments bother. easy to use and at 4.4kg's it's not too heavy to tote around and you can always use a shoulder harness with it for comfort if you have a big space to clear.

was it worth spending £200 on?, yeah, worth every penny (and if i do want to sell it on in the future, it's a brand that holds it's value well.)

20/07/2013 at 08:01

For what it's worth, I find the Stihl FS90 manages everything I want to do. The 50 is a bit underpowered for matted grass and lots of bramble, so you will get more wear.

20/07/2013 at 16:04

Not sure which model, but I have a stihl ergo-start, that's fantastic.  It's easy enough for me to start, and it has a shoulder strap (not as useful as a harness), but as long as you don't have a dodgy back or shoulders is great, the strap is easily adjustable (it's like the shortener on handbags), so you can use it no matter how tall or short you are.   The model I have has an optional brushcutter you can use, I've never bothered to buy it as the stuff I tend to use it on is this year's growth.  You will definitely need eye and ear protection, and I'd strongly recommend using wellies or stout shoes and gaiters as some of the chopped-up bits get thrown out at a rate of knotts.  Try not to pull out to much strimming line, I had a small bruise on my knee for ages after!

Get some decent gloves, too, with a bit of padding, they will protect you from any vibrations or knocks if you accidentally hit something with a strong stem.

Not cheap, but I bought a cheap one before the stihl, and it didn't last very long - only just until it was out of guarantee.

email image
11 messages