Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

petrol strimmers

Hi all, can anyone recommend a petrol strimmer thats easy to use and not too heavy

I need one for my allotment and areas in the garden. 

• ColinAColinA Posts: 392

Stihl or Husqvarna are excellent makes with good spares availability also the dealers know how to repair and service them.

Both manufacturers make machines to suit pocket and application.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

No Phillipa, 5'4" lady! Thanks for your suggestions.

• Avoid the lightweight flymo petrol, it is great but breaks and is unrepairable, shame cos it fits the bill.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Check out the 'multi-tools' on the Ideal World TV channel.  They have strimmer, brushwood cutter, hedge trimmer and chainsaw combo's at very reasonable prices.  I got one a couple of years ago and they really are good quality and value.  Not too heavy either, although I am a 6' bloke.  I genuinely believe my missus could use the strimmer although she shows no desire to prove my theory image

• I use a Stihl Kombi which is excellent and I would highly recommend, but use the green oil.

I did have a Ryobi which did the job, but the vibrations were really bad and when it had any problems not one garden machinery repairer would touch it.

If weight is an issue both Stihl and Husqvarna do battery powered machines, but I have no experience of them

• Chris_NChris_N Posts: 29

If it's just for occasional use in your garden etc then you won't go far wrong with a McCulloch machine, I have the strimmer and leaf blower and both are very good, always easy to start and plenty of power - Stihl, Husqvarna etc are very good if you want a daily use type of tool but cost 2-3 times more than the McCulloch, tbh if I was using that sort of tool daily I would still happily buy the Mac.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , just used a petrol strimmer  on a new Allotment , hard work 

however a friend on another allotment bought a battery one and I have to say a lot easier to use , he got it from Argos image 

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Screwfix has strimmer hedge cutter combination at £59.99,got one Friday but not used yet.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

AWB - check out the post from Evil Homer on this site before filling the petrol tank  http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/titan-petrol-2-1-hedge-grass-strimmer-59-99-screwfix-1966446 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Thanks Dove for the info, have a good day.