London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
17 messages
01/08/2014 at 10:59

Hi all, can anyone recommend a petrol strimmer thats easy to use and not too heavy

I need one for my allotment and areas in the garden. 

01/08/2014 at 14:05

Stihl or Husqvarna are excellent makes with good spares availability also the dealers know how to repair and service them.

Both manufacturers make machines to suit pocket and application.

01/08/2014 at 14:13

Gina.......I'd agree with Colin.  Just make sure that when you go to look/buy that you tell the sales person that it is YOU who will be using it.  They do tend to be on the heavy side and what some hefty 6 foot bloke can easily use, you may find yourself struggling.

(I'm taking it you are not a hefty 6 foot bloke ? ) if you are then completely ignore me

01/08/2014 at 15:01

No Phillipa, 5'4" lady! Thanks for your suggestions.

01/08/2014 at 19:38

Avoid the lightweight flymo petrol, it is great but breaks and is unrepairable, shame cos it fits the bill.

01/08/2014 at 20:59

Check out the 'multi-tools' on the Ideal World TV channel.  They have strimmer, brushwood cutter, hedge trimmer and chainsaw combo's at very reasonable prices.  I got one a couple of years ago and they really are good quality and value.  Not too heavy either, although I am a 6' bloke.  I genuinely believe my missus could use the strimmer although she shows no desire to prove my theory

01/08/2014 at 22:56

I use a Stihl Kombi which is excellent and I would highly recommend, but use the green oil.

I did have a Ryobi which did the job, but the vibrations were really bad and when it had any problems not one garden machinery repairer would touch it.

If weight is an issue both Stihl and Husqvarna do battery powered machines, but I have no experience of them

02/08/2014 at 07:42

If it's just for occasional use in your garden etc then you won't go far wrong with a McCulloch machine, I have the strimmer and leaf blower and both are very good, always easy to start and plenty of power - Stihl, Husqvarna etc are very good if you want a daily use type of tool but cost 2-3 times more than the McCulloch, tbh if I was using that sort of tool daily I would still happily buy the Mac.

02/08/2014 at 22:39

Hello , just used a petrol strimmer  on a new Allotment , hard work 

however a friend on another allotment bought a battery one and I have to say a lot easier to use , he got it from Argos  

AWB
03/08/2014 at 05:10

Screwfix has strimmer hedge cutter combination at £59.99,got one Friday but not used yet.

03/08/2014 at 06:30

AWB - check out the post from Evil Homer on this site before filling the petrol tank  http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/titan-petrol-2-1-hedge-grass-strimmer-59-99-screwfix-1966446 

AWB
03/08/2014 at 08:00

Thanks Dove for the info, have a good day.

04/08/2014 at 21:26

Weight isn't much of a problem if you use a harness and adjust it properly so that the machine is in perfect balance with all the weight on your shoulders

05/08/2014 at 09:28

Thanks for all the comments, Battery one sounds interesting, any one else had experience of using one. How long do the batteries last I wonder? AWB would be interested to hear how you got on with the screwfix combi cutter too.

05/08/2014 at 19:33

The £50 Qualcast on the Argos site claims 35 minute charge.  That will be to totally dead battery so I would expect the power to be dropping by the time it's down to half charge so guess 20 minutes usable power.  I know battery power drop off is less linear these days so that may be a slight under estimate.

If you are thinking about gettin a spare battery check out the prices before you buy.  A work colleague got a 'bargain' mower from B&Q or Homebase a couple of years ago, with no battery.  The cost of a battery actually made the total cost higher than the original selling price!

06/08/2014 at 09:38

Hello I have a battery hedge trimmer Bosc , brillant

08/08/2014 at 12:12

Power and endurance of a petrol strimmer always outstrips a battery one, and if you have that extra bit of grass to cut there is no worries of running out of power.

email image
17 messages