London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
4 messages
05/05/2012 at 13:06

Hi, we've moved house and I'm digging a new veg patch - I thought I'd check the PH level and have bought a kit - it doesn't say but I assume that in a hard water area like this one I ought to use rainwater, not tap water, to dissolve the powder in?

08/05/2012 at 14:42
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Hi, we've moved house and I'm digging a new veg patch - I thought I'd check the PH level and have bought a kit - it doesn't say but I assume that in a hard water area like this one I ought to use rainwater, not tap water, to dissolve the powder in?

Good question...*distilled water should be used for the reasons you suspect. Rainwater isn't ideal because of atmospheric acids it may contain, but is preferable to tap water.

*Melted ice from your freezer/fridge is a good source of distilled water.

08/05/2012 at 21:12

Old wives tale maybe, but I've always believed it to be so because it has been heated & condensed as part of the refrigeration process.

Either way, I still think it adequate for a soil pH kit....which was my point.

08/05/2012 at 21:36

Thanks , that's great - as we've not got the water butts connected yet I've left a little tub outside all weekend to collect some rainwater - and it's not rained since - good job I'm not in a hurry 

email image
4 messages