London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
18 messages
11/01/2014 at 23:10

I don't wish to 'ruffle' any feathers but.  BBC2 Fri. 10th.  New program on Garden revival.  When Sarah Raven, was demonstrating how to renovate worn lawn areas, and areating them.  Did she mention, using a 'pitch fork'  then actually demonstrating using a flat tyned lifting fork.  Correct me if I am wrong.  A pitch fork is used in hay makeing, it has an extra long handle and a two pronged metal head.  I have been 'bought to heel' by a member on another forum.  Tongue in cheek.  For those who have perhaps read my profile.  I believe my description etc to be correct.

Answers on a postcard please.

11/01/2014 at 23:57

Your 2 pronged fork sounds like the pitch fork I used to muck out the horses.

I didn't see theprogramme

12/01/2014 at 08:42

dont have a postcard handy but you are correct i believe

12/01/2014 at 08:43

Yes Mike I heard that and expostulated loudly - a pitch fork is for pitching hay - as a farmer's daughter and ex smallholder I've done a great deal of that in my time - the ones I knew always had two slightly curved prongs.  Originally you pitched sheaves of hay or corn with it - Pa could pitch a bale of straw with one. 

A fork with four similar prongs was a muck fork for mucking out with.  I've also done lots of that - horses, pigs, cows, goats, you name them, I've mucked them out - with a muck fork. 

You dig with a garden or digging fork http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_fork .

If you tried to dig properly with a pitch fork the tines would snap.

Lyn
12/01/2014 at 21:26

My OH always used a 5 pronged fork on the farm for picking up pats, he still has it, its most useful. Anyone know what that is called?

12/01/2014 at 21:36

four candles ????

12/01/2014 at 21:39

Archie, go and sit on the naughty step.

12/01/2014 at 23:13

Thanks friends.

I also post on the RHS. 'My garden forum site.  Having posted this point.  I was immediately taken to book.  Obviously the member is a fan of  Sarah Raven.  Thankfully other viewers also picked up on the mistake.  No way would I insult a fellow gardener/horticulturalist.  It just goes to show.  None of us are perfect.

Thanks for your support.

13/01/2014 at 08:10

perhaps it was the way you described Sarah that caused the ruffled feathers not the mistake she made naming the fork she was useing

13/01/2014 at 08:25

Lynn, there are four and five tined muck/manure forks.  There are also similar forks with rounded blobs on the ends of the tines - these were used for loading beet (mangolds for cattle fodder or for loading sugar beet into the elevator to load the lorry in the days when that was done by hand - no wonder Pa was so fit)  the blobs were  to stop the fork tines spearing the beet - they were also quite handy for removing horse poop from pasture. 

I've discovered I'm quite knowledgeable about forks - who'd have thought it - it's amazing the stuff you can find stored in your brain if your root around in there enough 

Lyn
13/01/2014 at 10:54

So you see Dove, your knowledge of muck forks has come in handy at last!

13/01/2014 at 11:08

Why is being a Jack of all trades so often disparaged I wonder - I've found it very useful - once, when attending a  Social Services  county seminar one of the Directors was bemoaning the increasing number of teenage pregnancies in the county.  She explained that this was her responsibility and asked for suggestions to help reduce the number - during the coffee break I mentioned that I have a Certificate in Castration and Lambing - her eyes brightened 

13/01/2014 at 13:38

That's a  useful skill Dove

I find my psychiatric nursing certificate comes in handy

13/01/2014 at 14:40

I am a Jack of all Trades and happily so.   I can garden and run a garden group though am not an expert, I can cook and bake but am not a trained chef, I can run a dance club without being a professional dancer and I can sew and do basic DIY and furniture restoring.   I'd be dreadully bored  - and much the poorer - if I had to rely on someone esle to do all this but will pay for expertise when I need it.

To go back to the original post, SR is not, in my view, a lawn expert and does not know her pitch fork from her elbow.   My lawn is not a sterile place as much of its green comes from clover, plantains, daisies and the occasional dandelion.   After rain we have blackbirds on it hunting for worms, fieldfares looking for chafer grubs and other birds grubbing about.  In dry weather I get green woodpeckers hunting ants and we also have moles which are less welcome.   It's an excellent surface for romping with the dogs and for Possum and her friends when they were younger and played outside.

I don't see the need for planting bulbs in grass unless you have rolling acres with shrubs and trees and find it looks less and less attractive during the 6 weeks the grass has to be left uncut to let the foliage replenish the bulbs for next year.  She didn't mention how long it takes for this long grass to recover and green up again once it's been cut as short of the rest of the lawn.   I'd rather have the bulbs in the borders where their foliage can stay on till dead but be disguised by other plants as they emerge in succession.   

SR should maybe stick to growing cut flowers and doing her flower arranging.

13/01/2014 at 15:14

Sadly I felt that her body-language during the lawn section was less than convincing 

13/01/2014 at 15:47

I missed that episode. I think I won't trouble iplayer to find it for me. 

13/01/2014 at 17:42

Good decision Nut.  James Wong on tropical plants was eminently fast forwadable - unless you live in a totally protected pocket somewhere or have a huge glasshouse or conservatory..

13/01/2014 at 18:11

Mistakenly posted on the lawn heading.  Yep!  Not a pitch fork.  We called it a graip, but looking on the Internet most pictures looked lighthan than that fork. 

email image
18 messages