London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
11 messages
21/09/2013 at 23:46

Anyone know where to get some good,but cheap plant pots? Where does everyone get theirs?....

I need some big ones for my spring bulbs

22/09/2013 at 00:08

Hi Pokhim

For spring bulbs I'm guessing you mean large pots?

I only started gardening recently in the last few years and had no pots at all. If money is a very important factor I bought all of my big plasticpots from the local large pound shop. This was the cheapest place by far for large pots, I found. I had to drill drainage holes in them myself. 

Admittedly they are not as attractive as nice terracotta pots or even plastic pots from Wilko but they look okay once something is growing in them. Since then I have a begged borrowed and stolen (joking!) more pots - some terracotta (freecycle is good for this) and the cheap pound shop ones look way better when mixed in with other types.

Other than that, another way I get big pots cheap is from buying cheap large pots of already grown plants eg cosmos/lavender from garden centres or Wilko in spring. I want the plant anyway either for a one-off display or to plant elsewhere, and as a byproduct I get the pos!

22/09/2013 at 01:34

I miss my old job for pots.  We got loads from the plants we used at work that went into big fancy pots, and they were all destined for skip! Some HUGE ones. Most now lost, broken or given away with plants.  I'm really needing more big ones, so if anyone else knows a good source in Ayrshire---

22/09/2013 at 01:41

Some places still give flowers buckets away free. Most supermarkets don't but your local corner shop, if they sell flowers may give you some for free. They'll need holes drilling in the bottoms though for drainage.

22/09/2013 at 01:49

Oh, Yes, Zoomer. I used to be able to get 5 for 99p at Morrisons. Don't know if they still do them, though, I shop online now as car off rd. Great for indoor pots with lots of drainage in bottom and careful watering. Wish I could get some more as my cymbid orchids wanting re-potting and they would be perfect size, now you mention 'em.

22/09/2013 at 10:38

The local Morrisons still does 5 deep pots for 99p and they are flimsy enough to put holes in. Very useful to grow on rose cuttings and any plants that have long tape roots. I use them as tomato pots and in the GH too with the bottoms cut off. The tomatoes in them seem to give a better than growbags. Though having said  that  lots of h2o and Potash helps too!

I have a few black buckets(builders aile) from B&Q which I got when they were selling  them BOGOF at  £1. They do this quite often, especially this time of the year. I grow lots of bulbs in them with holes made with a pair of securters. In the summer I grow annuals and veggies in them. I find that they are easy to move around as the 'lip' gives you a good grip. If I am feeling strong I bring them near the house in the winter for a shot of well needed colour

In some I have sunk Ivy cuttings in small pots around them to soften the edges replacing them with trailing annuals in the summer. All I have to do is add slow release fertilizer twice a year.

Even plastic pots have gone up in price alot and second hand shops often have them cheap from house clearances. Freecycle is good too and boot sales are a good alternative too. I hope it helps and gives you a few ideas.

22/09/2013 at 13:44

Think laterally and use other containers.  Wooden boxes lined with bubble wrap or black plastic and with holes in the bottom plus feet for drainage.  I have an old chimney pot I found lying around and some old galvanised laundry pots I bought in a car boot sale.  Other than that, buy pots cheap when the garden centres are clearing their shelves ready for Xmas displays.

22/09/2013 at 22:16

wooden fruit boxes can often be picked up free. I get mine from two local nurseries by buying fruit and veg then ask for a box to carry them in.

You can also pick up pots by buying plants from the nearly dead section at GC's. A local nursery near me, this year, was selling off half barrels planted up with nearly dead plants for £5 less than the cost of an empty barrel. I don't think they'd realised their error.

22/09/2013 at 22:29

Then there's the chipped section but not alll GC 's have them. I picked up two huge ceramic pots for half price with just small chips on the rim which are easily covered by planting close to the edge of the pot.     

22/09/2013 at 23:48

Try your local council tip - sorry "recycling centre,"  I've recycled loads that way.

24/09/2013 at 10:56

Wilkinsons

email image
11 messages