London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
7 messages
02/12/2013 at 11:06

I have a vegetable Planting Planner that for some veg says plant March February for say leeks , onions and parsnips

A general question.

Does this mean  A...You can plant / sow anytime in those 60 days

B....You should stagger the planting / sowing OVER those 60 days

for crops that you want to ensure a steady supply

02/12/2013 at 11:16

You can sow at any time during this period provided the weather and soil conditions are suitable; in general, the further north you are, the later you will sow. Given suitable conditions, you can stagger sowings if you wish.

02/12/2013 at 18:31

I see you live in Bristol, so it should not be too cold; I follow the instructions on the seed packet and a good veg growing book.

02/12/2013 at 18:37

I wouldn't think you need to stagger the 3 vegetables you mention. Onions store well, and you can leave parsnips and leeks in the ground until you need them, within reason. Parsnips are notoriously poor germinators so you may need to have more than 1 go anyway. If some of your leeks look as if they are going to seed, you can let them and then use the seed. Flower arrangers love the seed heads!

02/12/2013 at 18:50

Planting and staggering. 

I do a lot of that

02/12/2013 at 19:30

Nut.....me too.  Thinning the carrots I noticed my size 11's squashing the adjacent row of spring onions.  And because I'm impatient I do tend to stagger around the lettuces. 

02/12/2013 at 21:52

I would say you can sow but can't plant out tender veg plants till the last frost

I've not grown onions from seed so can't advise but sowing most veg seeds in Feb/March unless your soil is warmed up and the plants protected, will need nurturing for several months in small pots either indoors or a heated GH and there is nothing to be gained by sowing early because later sown vegs catch up.   

Parsnips also grow a tappered root and don't take to kindly to being started off in a pot as your parsnip wil develop from that root which needs to grow straight down and not be restricted with the bottom of a pot. 

Do you have a GH or space in doors to sow? Where do plan to keep the sown seeds until planting out?

email image
7 messages