London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
8 messages
31/05/2014 at 21:39
Hi, I'm not entirely sure if this post belongs here but I thought it was some-what relevant so I've posted it here! I've taken an interest in gardening and I want to plant some seeds with my nieces. I bought some seeds but they've got sowing dates on them. What happens if you plant seeds past the sowing date? I was going to plant them in pots too. I do want to plant the seeds, even if they didn't grow as it's mainly to keep the nieces busy and give them something interesting to do. I still think it would be a good learning opportunity for them (even better if they grew!) I thought it'd be good to know about it for future as I personally want to get into gardening so I want to build up my general knowledge Thanks! Ree
31/05/2014 at 21:43

Depends what seeds are, if it was me I' d get something you can sow now, that is def ok in a pot too, much more fun and more satisfying if they germinate and grow

31/05/2014 at 21:51

If they're past their sow-by date they're less likely to germinate, that's all.  Sow loads and a few will come up.

Fast growers include radishes, mustard/cress, nasturtiums, lettuce (at this time of year).  Do some some carrots too as, although they take a couple of weeks tro get gloing they're so delicious straight out of the ground that they'll get hooked on growing!  And how about pumpkins or some other squash?  You're just about in time to get them going, they germinate quickly and - if you have the space - will produce vast fruit.

31/05/2014 at 22:13
Thankyou both of you.
Rose, I will definitely look into more seeds that will grow effectively I will have to have a good look at their packaging. It's not something that I would have thought about at first as I planted seeds when I was young and they grew fine! (Except for some child that ruined them!) I guess they were planted at the correct time.
And Thankyou Steve for the information, I will look at getting some of those. Might help my youngest niece to eat properly haha
How much area would you say pumpkin seeds needed to grow? We've got lots of space outside, we just need to sort the garden out I think they'd love to grow some pumpkins.
31/05/2014 at 22:21

its a bit late for pumpkins.  you can sow oriental leaves and salad lettuce leaves now.

I sowed some last Sunday and they have already germinated. I expect to be cutting them to use in salad in three weeks.

31/05/2014 at 22:31
Oh okay. I'll have a look in the store and see what I can find (that's actually in the right date!)

I've actually discovered that 2 packets are in the correct sowing period, one I've just missed as it's for May and the other 2 are late. I'll just hope for the best with those ones! I've got compost for them, will that help support their growth?

On the packets, where it says about sowing indoors. It says about using a tray. Does it have to be a tray or can I pots? ie do I have to move it into the pots after they've grown a little?

Thanks a lot
31/05/2014 at 22:33

What are you planning on growing.?

Big seeds can be spaced apart in a tray or planted in its own pot (eg sunflowers or cucumbers). small seed like lettuce are better in a larger tray, scattered thinly.

01/06/2014 at 21:24
Just flowers. I'll write the names on here soon as I'll have to look on their packets

Can pots with compost be left outdoors?

Thanks again everyone
email image
8 messages