London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
13 messages
11/03/2013 at 14:18

Are there any tips for getting 1 litre plastic hand sprayers to work. I always seem to have problems with mine. Just bought a new one. Does not work. Any help anyone.

11/03/2013 at 14:22

There's a small filter at the end of the tube that goes in the liquid-if that gets clogged then it wont work-try cleaning that out?

11/03/2013 at 14:23

Have the same problem eddie and have never worked out why.

Lyn
11/03/2013 at 14:24
I have the same problem, now I just wait till I have finished a bug or fungus spray wash them well and throw them away when they stop working.
11/03/2013 at 18:49

When living near London area the one that I used for ironing kept getting clogged with limescale, I wiggled a pin in the holes.

If you shake it & it's only half full it's easy to get air into the tubing.

I agree though, they are temperamental!!

11/03/2013 at 18:57
I think the secret is to wash out immediately after use.....but, who does that?
However, unscrewing g the spray head and brushing the tube end that sucks up the liquid and soaking in hot soapy water usually works for me. I have a decent sprayer that I rarely use but I buy cheapo sprayers for a pound or so and try to keep them going forever.
11/03/2013 at 19:05

Same problem as everyone else.  Hand sprayers are possibly the most unreliable gardening product on the shelves!  The only one of mine which keeps working reliably is a pump-up type which cost a small fortune.

11/03/2013 at 19:37

Now where is that chap who wanted to reinvent the lawnmower? (I approve!) Can we start small scale with this problem ?

11/03/2013 at 19:54

You have turned that bit on the nozzle where the water comes out of; to open, haven't you. Also, on some bottles you have 2 options, spray or jet by either twisting the nozzle to the left or to right. When doing this, keep pressing the little lever/handle until the water comes out. Hope you don't think I'm being funny or out.

I have bought them in the past though, and after 2 months use, just break. Which is really annoying.

11/03/2013 at 20:20

Same problem as everyone else so I have bought the cheapest available and treat them as disposable. A few years ago I bought a gadget at a garden show which you screw onto any empty plastic drink bottle to convert it to a sprayer. This is easier to clean if it clogs because it all unscrews for washing although I have noticed that it doesn't seem to clog as often as a conventional sprayer. The pressure is generated by a pump action so maybe the extra pressure forces through any air locks ot gunk.

11/03/2013 at 23:47

If you only need a small amount of stuff to spray, use an old kitchen or bathroom spray.  You can keep these wherever you need them (remember to soak the lable off and use a permanent marker to write what's in it).  If you need a bigger sprayer, check ebay's daily/weekly deals.  I think they have a 5l knapsack sprayer on there for under a tenner (delivered).  You can also try ASDA, now's the time they have them in, got a 3l sprayer last year for my glyphosate, was under a fiver.

20/03/2013 at 17:23

Dear Eddie3, please check this one, is the best of the best! It's 1L garden sprayer by Hozelock: http://www.irrigateuk.co.uk/1l-spraymist-trigger-sprayer.html. i have it for a while!

20/03/2013 at 18:33

I've found these little dental brush thingys (after intial use) are very good for cleaning out blocked nozzles.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20222.jpg?width=160&height=160&mode=max

email image
13 messages