London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
13 messages
26/01/2014 at 09:10

Hi, we need to get a pressure washer for the terrace and pathways - it will also be useful for cleaning the teak garden benches and tables, and I suppose I could also cajole OH into cleaning my car with it 

It's sale time at B&Q and I suppose also at other places - please can I have your recommendations and/or ones to avoid?

Don't want to spend a fortune, don't want something that's going to take up too much space in the garage or be too complicated, but do want something reliable and easy to use 

26/01/2014 at 10:14

This is OH's department - but he says he is pleased with his Karcher - had it three years now.  He has not used it heavily, but gives the hard surfaces an annual clean, and used it to sort out a drain problem .  Found it a bit harsh for the teak/iroko furniture - it opened up the grain on the crossbar we tested, so have not used it for that.

26/01/2014 at 10:30

Think the Karchers are the main ones Dove and seem to be pretty reliable - even the cheaper ones. My ex partner  had a fairly standard one for cars and patios and we used it for the decking at last house as it was treacherous because of the aspect. He also cleaned the sandstone retaining wall of the terrace with it - in the rain () and we did the north east facing roof of that house too - me up the  ladders from the flat roof.

Versatile, if nothing else.... and that was just us! 

26/01/2014 at 10:33

We have a Karcher too Dove, def a boys toy  must have had it about 5yrs, but like Chicky not over used. Too powerful for some jobs. But great for cleaning paths, patios etc. OH thinks its a good make and very pleased with results.

26/01/2014 at 18:00

We've got a karcher. If anything, perhaps its a bit too powerful or OH holds it too close. Cleans most things, but you have to stand a bit further away from wood or  as chicky says, it stripped the varnish off.

26/01/2014 at 20:01

Karcher.  As others have said they are powerful and can damage timber if not used with care.  Most of them come with a device called a T racer (odd name) to clean paths and patios.  It has a revolving head contained within a cover with brushes around the edges.  Does a great job too.

26/01/2014 at 20:37

Thanks folks .... looks like a Karcher it is then 

27/01/2014 at 07:42

Definitely go for a Karcher. They take a lot of abuse and have many add ons including a fantastic patio cleaner that leaves our patio smazingly clean with no over spray elsewhere!

27/01/2014 at 19:57

I bought a Karcher last year, with the attachment for cleaning patio's that looks like a metal detector. Brilliant, The only thing I found was the amount of water left behind. I found myself sweeping the excess water off the patio down the drive. Also you get really filthy! You can look like a dirt bike rider afterwards.

27/01/2014 at 20:03
Mark 1963 wrote (see)

I bought a Karcher last year, with the attachment for cleaning patio's that looks like a metal detector. Brilliant, The only thing I found was the amount of water left behind. I found myself sweeping the excess water off the patio down the drive. Also you get really filthy! You can look like a dirt bike rider afterwards.

So I'll have to stand OH in the centre of the lawn and hose him down afterwards 

KEF
27/01/2014 at 20:03

Same here Dove, but only used once. When we got it we were advised to think about running time. Smallest models would have meant two goes on patio, due to area, and recommended running time of product. We also bought the stone cleaning agent which was far superior to my idea of anti bac' washing up liquid.

27/01/2014 at 20:09
Mark 1963 wrote (see)

You shouldn't get filthy when using the patio cleaner attachment.  The brushes around the outside block most of the water (on mine anyway).

27/01/2014 at 20:27

Hi KT53. perhaps I'm not holding it down enough. I'll be getting it out again in the spring so I'll give it another try. Its a good cleaner though

email image
13 messages