London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
8 messages
13/09/2013 at 17:24

I havea hedge in my front garden which has become over grown in width it is about 14 feet long but I would like to reduce the width,what tools would I neeed,because I am not a young man it seems like a back breaking job.

13/09/2013 at 17:31

What sort of hedge is it, arthur?

13/09/2013 at 18:03

I am not sure I think it is the usual common garden hedge it was here before I came to this house which is about 52years ago.

Lyn
13/09/2013 at 18:09

Privet hedge or conifer?

13/09/2013 at 18:23

It is a Privet.

Lyn
13/09/2013 at 18:55

Give it a bit of a chop now, then give it a good go in the Spring. I chop mine whenever i think its getting out of hand, but experts will say best done in the Spring.

13/09/2013 at 20:46

If it is privet it will have little bunches of strongly smelling cream flowers in late summer. It will take quite a lot of work to cut it back as it is very twiggy. You are going to need a lot of sacks! I would buy yourself some loppers. They are like extra big secateurs with handles that are about 2 and a half feet long. They have a lot more leverage and a larger "bite" than secateurs so make the job a bit easier.

It will take you quite a while to do 14 feet.

14/09/2013 at 17:43

i've been reducing both the height and width of my privet in the back yard (was about 18ft long and about 11 ft high and about 5 ft wide) i'd recommend a pruning saw as well as loppers and shears, as some of the stems in my hedge were way too big for the loppers to get through and too tangled and crowded to use the bow saw effectivley.

you will make a massive amount of waste, so it's worth thinking about how you're going to dispose of it... i contemplated hiring a chipper and making my own chippings to use as a mulch somewhere else in the garden but in the end i decided to chop and stack the larger pieces for use in the woodburner in our camper van and bagged up the twiggy, leafy bits for the council to collect.

there was no way i was going to get it done in one go, so i divided it up into seperate jobs: tackle a 6 foot stretch at a time, do the width one weekend and the height the weekend after etc.... othewerwise i knew i' was going to put too much strain on my dodgy shoulders and lower back, as well as have a mountain of waste to deal with in one go. (once you get to 10 bags or over it stops being fun and you stuggle to find somewhere to stack them until recycling day!)

it's only a big job if you try and get the whole thing done in one go, divide the job into managable sections and it's not so daunting.

email image
8 messages