London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
14 messages
23/06/2013 at 14:18

I'm asking for any advice on top of the range roller mowers. Preferably from professionals, but also from home owners if they have them. 

The mowers in question are the:

Hayter 48/56 Pro AD

Lawnflite 553-HRS Pro

Honda HRX476 QX / HRH536 QX

We use the Hayters at work, they cut well in the dry, but don't tend to fill the box and the chute gets blocked if the grass is a little wet. The clutch seems to die after a year or so. So I'm veering away from them. 

I'm looking at the Lawnflite in particular, due to the shaft driven rear roller. Does anyone have any experience or reviews of these mowers.

Thanks

23/06/2013 at 14:36

Hi, I use a Honda HRX426QX, the only difference from the 476QX is the cutting width and grass box size.  It's been as reliable as heck!  It's been used  3-4 times a week for the past 2 years and has never failed to start and I've had no problems at all with it.  I also use a Hayter Spirit 41 for smaller gardens but much prefer the Honda.  The Honda is heavier, the auto drive moves at a slower pace than the Hayter but it does a better job and like you said, grass collects at the chute in the Hayter if its a bit wet.  I've had the auto drive replaced on the Hayter as that packed in and also had 2 clutch cables need replacing. I did buy a Hayter Harrier but it went back to dealer 5 times in first few months as it refused to start from warm, fine if it was left to cool down a bit.  In the end I told them I wanted a refund, the mower ended up going back to Hayter head office as there did seem to be a manufacturing issues with that model and I bought the Honda which was £300 dearer but I got what I paid for in the end 

23/06/2013 at 16:05

As above, Honda for me any day.

25/06/2013 at 19:24

Thanks, anyone used a Lawnflite?

25/06/2013 at 22:28

Sorry, not heard of that one...

29/06/2013 at 07:01

I've used my customer's Honda (476) roller mower on their lawn for about 12 years. About two hours every week from April to October. Starts first pull every spring. I've had it serviced twice and the roller bearings replaced once. Can't really fault it, which is more than I can say for a few others I've used.

29/06/2013 at 08:08

Honda 535, totally reliable, it did have a recall for a faulty roller clutch, now 10 years old never missed a beat until this year, the ignition coil had failed.

I do find if the grass is wet or damp it cuts well but struggles to fill the bag to the back.

24/09/2013 at 21:45

I'm not a professional, but have 3 acres of garden to maintain and found this whilst  googling lawnflite. I have an ancient model which I bought about five years ago for £20, and it has been the most reliable mower I have ever used in 35 years of mowing, including two sit on machines (one brand-new bought 2 years ago) and a self propelled Wolf which knackers me just starting it up. The lawnflite has always got me out of the mess the others leave me in, and am now looking to replace it as it really is beyond me to keep it going much longer, though the engine still starts perfectly.  I would also be interested in hearing any feedback about newer lawnflite models

08/10/2013 at 20:30

I have never used a Hayter mower but other professional users tell me there the bee's knee's Leicester Gardening

09/10/2013 at 00:20

yeah i heard this too- gardening services leicester

15/10/2013 at 21:10

yeah i heard that too - Leicester Gardening

15/11/2013 at 18:05

I run a medium sized gardening company and am currently looking into replacing our fleet of hayters that we have used for years with either the current model of Hayter 48/56 or Lawnflight 553 HRS Pro.

So far it appears the Lawnflights are pretty good, having a Honda engine on a cutting width between the Hayter 48 and 56 at 53cm and a hydrostatic drive i.e.shaft driven rather than belt driven like the Hayters.

I am not currently considering the Honda as the Lawnflights are basicaly the same but cheaper - The Lawnflight deck was originaly a Honda design the Honda's are slightly more expensive as unfortunately you are paying for the name.

Parts are probably a bit cheaper for the Hayters and the Hayters are also cheaper to buy, but I have been advised not to spend the extra for the pro Hayter version by my local mechanic.This is because to pro ones have a set speed of 3mph where the standard ones have  a variable speed with a maximun of 3.5mph, although the variable speed adjuster can break, it doesnt matter if you fix it at the faster speed and the additional cost is not really worth it for the extras you get, the standard models are still very strong and good machinesl.

The bigest concern with the Lawnflights is the gearbox, which can get damaged and wear out.These are much more expensive to replace than the Hayter ones at about 6x the cost, but if you are careful to avoid dropping the roller assembly onto hard ground, as it will push the drive shaft into the gear box and avoid as much as possible running the roller over hard ground (concrete etc) it should last a considerable time.
Also you can purchase parts for the Lawnflight gearbox and hopefully avoid having the replace the whole thing.

The other point to consider is the weight as the Lawnflight is a much heavier machine to move around and use compared to the Hayter.

Both Hayters and Lawnflights are very well built and a lot of the problems that the Hayters had when the current design was orriginaly released have been fixed.

I dont think you will go far which ever one you choose, perhaps see if you can try them out before hand as it may help you make your final decision.

Unfortunately I have tried both and I am still currently undecided on which model to purchase!

01/04/2014 at 21:53

i have a hayter 56 autodrive  i keep having problems with the drive its fine to start with after 5 or 6 mins of cutting i lose drive i have fitted 2 new belts and adjusted the drive cable but drive still seems to fade any help would be good 

03/04/2014 at 09:07

To add to what I said last summer, I did own a Lawnflite, which as someone said is a Honda engine on a different deck, and it was very good - deck not quite as robust, but that made it lighter to use.

email image
14 messages