Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Propagator & condensation

When using Propagator should I daily clean away the condensation from inside the lid ?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...or you could tip it down to one corner of the lid and pour it out to water tiny seedlings - it's distilled water so will be sterile and reduce risk of damping off etc.

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431
    I sometimes do it with kitchen paper twice a day. If the problem is really bad (temp too high or soil too wet), try balancing a few pencils between the base and the lid. This will allow some condensation to escape without affecting the germination.
  • AlastairSAlastairS Posts: 42

Thank you all for your replies, I have learned 3 new things now. I did not think sil was that wet (though I am a novice) and while my propogator is heated there is no thermostat. The propogator is in a wooden summer house with no direct sunlight though sunshine heats it in the evening for an hour..

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I would say but it depends on what you are germinating as some seed needs high humidity.

• AlastairSAlastairS Posts: 42

I am propogating Verbena bonariensis. I have not sprayed any water on them recently and I amy have put too much sieved compost on top of the seeds.