Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Protecting the outside tap from frost

Whilst looking for something else, I came across this idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f-J0RYDcKXM

it certainly looks as if it will do the job and is neater than our usual contrivance of bubblewrap and parcel tape, and the tap is still accessible when needed. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Thanks for that. So simple. Much better than wrapping whatever we can find - bubble wrap /old tea towells around it. 

Will do it later today

bjay

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

dovefromabove  that is one cool idea, could have done with that idea years ago when frost were real frosts, its a really good idea, Dragons den next maybe  ? nice oneD

Alan

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

That's my sort of technology! Now to hunt out flower-pot, bubble wrap, bungee and quick clip.

Bungee is the problem. Son has used them for whatever mysterious purpose he has. Prbably to ie up his piano accordian to transport it. Will tackle him later.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

A thick rubber band would do to be going on with, bjay.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I just used bubble wrap and an old sock and made sure I left the tap open-bish, bash, bosh.

• Like it! Need to get a bungee, but will be making said tap cover. Thanks Dove
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

What a lot of trouble just to stop an outside tap from freezingimage  my outside tap has another tap in doors under the kitchen sink on the same pipe, I just turn the inside tap off and drain the pipe going outside untill it's needed again in the springimage, easy peasie..  

• So does mine Zoomer, but not everyone's does - and anyway, we have uses for water outside which aren't just to do with watering the garden so it may be more convenient not to drain and shut off the tap - to be honest having just moved here last year we totally forgot to protect the tap, and escaped without any problems, but I don't want to risk it two years running.

And anyway, making that little device might be a lot less trouble than moving all the saucepans etc from the cupboard next to my sink where my little tap-thingy is image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Just covered my tap. Found bungee looks neat as well. No fear of it falling off. Thank you for that tip. Am going to pass it on to non- forum family imageimage