Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

artjak

I have a Hebes on the top of the rock garden and it is getting too big for the situation; can it be pruned perhaps later in the growing season?

I prune them.   Salicifolia varieties are pruned after flowering.  The autumn flowering ones I prune in spring.  The smaller........pagei, subalpina, etc. are more difficult.  They are slow growing but suddenly get big and leggy so I trim these for shape in spring.  Generally, hebes seem to dislike drastic pruning into old wood.

Fairygirl

I've pruned a few different ones which outgrew spaces but I found little and often was usually better than a severe haircut - some of them didn't like hard pruning, but that also may be down to weather here. They took a while to recover -  and sometimes didn't.... 

artjak

Dove, thank you for that link; problem is all the advice says to prune after flowering; but this hebe is in a pretty shady location and I can't really say that I have ever noticed it flowering! It is probably about 10 years old, small leafed and this year has become just too large.

Any further thoughts?

Advertisement

KEF

I have one in a big pot that grew down and into soil. One I inherited so no idea what it is, it's never flowered but last year I cut a good amount from it and moved it. I was amazed at the sap that leaked out, I expected it to die. Some parts looked a bit black.

It hasn't died, it has regrown leaves but hasn't flowered but not knowing much about them I don't know when it should flower. Just nice foliage sitting in a pot in an  "awkward " place. It has had a treat of FBB and I'll see what happens. Don't want it in the graden & don't want to re-pot, so we'll see.

Basically no help to you at all Artjak

Fairygirl

I had a buxifolia type one in a pot at the front door of a previous house art. It got virtually no sun and only ever had a few flowers because of that - in fact it's a wonder it survived at all! I kept it more as a box 'replacement'  and trimmed it now and again to keep it tidy. Could it be that type?  I have three vernicosa ones at the moment which I've just put into big terracotta pots for that same purpose - they're similar to box too.  I can put a pic on if you want to compare. Perhaps you could prune it a few times over the course of the year and gradually get it back. 

artjak

when i eventually get off the phone from scottish power i will go and take a photo. i may be quite old by then

KEF

Fairy I'd like to see a pic of your hebe to see if mine is same.

Fairygirl

No probs KEF 

Not a great pic but you should be able to enlarge. I can take a better one if necessary

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P3190012_zps5d331dd2.jpg

Fairygirl

Here's a better one. I even went out in the rain to take it....

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P4220002_zps5b6ed706.jpg

Salino

..I recently cut back my Hebe 'Red Edge' very hard. to a few inches of base... it's now shooting out everywhere... it had only 2 choices...well 3... live, die or sulk...

artjak

First pic shows how it sits, brooding over the rock garden and second pic gives an idea of he leaf size (excuse my awful finger nails - they are always like that in the gardening season)

Fairygirl

I'd say that's more like one of the pinguifolia types. There's quite a few varieties though. Looks a bit too green to be pagei.

Your hands look much cleaner than mine art 

I did the same with a Red Edge one Salino..not sure it survived though....

Some of those hebes don't flower or flower sparsely but usually these are grown for their foliage.  Always best in the sun though.  I think timing is important too with the little 'uns.  When warm, even hot, I think hebes respond best.  They sulk if cold.  

Advertisement

I'm not sure which variety I have but this one has grown huge this year. I need to prune it back before it swallows the swing

Just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read blogs from cheerful, literate people. Maybe gardening should be compulsory. the world might be a happier place.

And my Hebe is going to get a drastic prune TODAY. Much too big.

artjak

corncockle; what a lovely compliment to us all I absolutely agree about compulsory gardening: to all those who say,'bring back National Service', I think young men and women should all spend 1 year at Kew Gardens, or similar as apprentices. Then they would not be entering adult life thinking that farmers 'grow mud' or throwing away an apple because there is a spot of earth on it. Those last 2 items I read this week about children's beliefs about their food.

Corncockle, how drastic a prune? I really need to cut mine back but have no idea how far to take it.

hogweed

I drastically pruned 3 hebes about 2 months ago - none have survived. Oh well - more planting opportunities!