5 messages
07/09/2012 at 13:16

Hi, I have 2 passion flowers and 2 clematis growing either side of a rose arch.  They are 2 years established and the passion flower is in full bloom.  I am moving house in a few weeks and need to dismantle the rose arch and replace it as it is damaged but I'm worried I'll kill the plants by cutting them back whilst in flower.  Can anyone give me any guidance please?  Thanks

08/09/2012 at 20:18

I have a passion flower but i have heard that it grows on a tuber  idont know if it will work try it and email me back.

08/09/2012 at 20:55

Hi Alex, I have a caerulea passionflower and over the years it's been hacked at and pruned incorrectly and it's still going strong.  At worst, you'll lose the flowers but it will bounce back.  The clematis should also be ok but if you damage any of the stems , you could cut it back to ground level and it will send out new shoots.

I don't think that passionflowers grow from tubers - mine just has a rootball ? 

09/09/2012 at 07:33

Thank you very much Jean!  I shall hack away and keep my fingers crossed.

09/09/2012 at 17:39

All I can say is to be careful if you are going to dig them up transfer them.I lost two while having to remove them for a neighbour to put up a new fence,although I kept them well watered until I replanted they did not take.The passion flower I have grown from seed and it might well be wise to try and grow a few just in case.

email image
5 messages