Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Hi everyone. 

Is there any device to use water out of water butts other than cans?! I would cirtaintly make my life easier and cut the timings of watering significantly. 

Like you submerge it into your full water butt, connect it to the hose and it starts pumping out the water and you spray it where you want. Then move it to another part of the garden into a different water butt. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you

Steve the Gardening Vet

Yep, google the words 'water butt pump' and you will see several manufacturers do.

Thanks for your answers guys.

I have 9 water butts around the garden each holds 230 litres-  and they never get full use, just over flowing and going into drainage. (and I often end up connecting my hose to the mains because this way I'm not carrying heavy water around)

ilol look into google search, but just wandered if there are  any particular recommendations like how powerful must be the pump, etc

Welshonion
I prefer to siphon water from the butts into a half butt and just dip watering cans in that.

Advertisement

Before fitting a tap to the base of the butt and raising it on bricks to fill cans easily I used the pump off an old washing machine, easily modified and there was electricity near. It worked dropping a feed pipe into the butt the out let in the can and switching on. It worked too well, it could empty the butt in seconds hence the fitting of the tap, easily done and sealed, the over excited pump got dumped, we live and learn, but then I am an engineer, we never learn to stop tinkering. Plus of course H and S would faint with horror, what do they know?

Frank.

Wow! A lot of engineering, Palaisglide!!!! I'd be happy with just a ready made one if I can but I appreciate the technical approach!!!! 

Clarington

I'd imagine a caravan tap pump (or indeed shower pump) could be easily put to re-use: it would be able to be run on a leisure battery supplied by a solar panel charger if electricity wasn't accessible (I.e. on an allotment).

I bought a pump that i  attach to an electric drill .then I  connect the  hose from the pump to the water butt.Everything is controlled by the drill.The pump is made by 

Wolfcraft they cost about a tenner  on Amazon

Lyn

When out water butts are empty we save our bath water, we used a pump on a drill but you could actually tiddle faster, we have a larger one that we used when we were  grave digging, just drop it in the butt, thats very quick, not sure if thats what you need direct onto your hose pipe though, buf if would transfer water from one to the other very quickly. We bought it from Amazon, its called a Dirty Water Pump.

You could do what we did in the army to transfer fluids (petrol or water). Drop a bit of hose in the butt and suck, then drop it in the can. It worked for me though it took time to get the taste of petrol out of the mouth. As for water out of the butt it would never be as bad as some we had to drink in Desert conditions. I still say fit a tap at the base and lift onto bricks?

Frank

Lyn

You have just reminded me Frank, we have got a little doo- daa that you push up and down in a tank of water so no need to suck,

we were always siphoning petrol in the old days, you only ever went out with a gallon in the car, about 6 shillings worth, so had to phone dad to come out with a can.