Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Push mowers

I'm seriously considering buying a push mower now that my electric one is on its last legs. Apart from being more environmentally friendly, I hate all the faff of the wire and plugging it in for my small lawn, plus I think the free exercise will beat paying the price of the gym.

I'm torn between the Qualcast and the Bosch. Does anyone use one and which do you recommend?

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I love my qualcast panther 380.  I can't quite remember when I bought it but it was some time ago.  It is lightweight, easy to use, doesn't take up much room in the shed and cuts nicely.  I can still hear the birds singing whilst I'm mowing and I am not using any electricity.

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

sorry but ive been there its damn hard work I hope your fit. I left it for a fortnight once and it near killed me. Ive a flymo now

• jude5jude5 Posts: 65

I too love my Qualcast 380 which I bought on ebay for £14.50. I got it to use on my allotment paths, but it now travels between there and my back lawn as I find it much less hassle than the flymo on such a small patch.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

In answer to the specific question you asked - what's the difference between Qualcast and Bosch, the answer is 'there is no difference'.

The Qualcast and Bosch mowers are both manufactured at the same factory in China. They are the same mower. The mower is simply given different badges for different suppliers. In fact, the assembly instructions for both mowers don't have a manufacturer's name on them.

There are also some other push mowers worth looking at. The Webb is a 'nice-looking' push mower, with a roller, so it gives stripes. If you're the type of person who wants the 'perfect lawn', then the Webb is worth considering.

Considerably more pricey is the Brill push mower. That's the one I have. The main difference between the Brill and others is that the Brill is almost silent in operation. The Qualcast/Bosch both make the traditional clackety/clack noise as the blades strike the cutting bar. Some people actually like the traditional clackety/clack. I simply prefer silent running.

In your original message you suggest that a push mower will give you some exercise. That's not necessarily true. Push mowers are very light and very easy to push. A man can easily lift a push mower with one hand. You normally burn fewer calories using a push mower.

Message 3 (above) says that if the grass has been left to grow long, then push mowers are hard work; that's true, cutting long grass does require some effort. But I still prefer the overall convenience and other advantages of a push mower.

• valliantvalliant Posts: 1

has anyone tried the Fiskars momentum reel mower?  It's very pricey but wondering if it would be worth investing in for a small lawn that is curved and edged with stone.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

There are 2 reviews of the Fiskars on Amazon, both favourable. Though the reasons why the customers liked it were simply the standard reasons for buying any push mower. They didn't cite any specific feature of this mower that raised it above all others. On the contrary, they said that assembly was somewhat fiddly.

My own impression of Fiskars, as a brand, is that you pay a hefty premium for very trendy boys toys. Though all I know of the brand is through seeing that TV ad.

There is something about owning the 'right' mower. It's a bit like owning a flash car, and having a push mower is certainly the trend these days.

So if you fancy a Fiskars, and can afford it, why not. Your neighbour won't have one; until he pokes his head through the laurel hedge and sees yours.

• Thanks for your comments everyone, especially Gary for the info about Bosch & Qualcast. I think the Brill is out of my price range. The Webb looks good, but my lawn is small, and I'm not fussed about a perfect lawn. I like the idea of a light mower, and my lawn is on a bit of a slope, but I can always take up walking to exercise if it isn't strenuous enough image. The Qualcast 380 is looking favourable

• There is something quite delicious about the rhythmic sound of a push mower on a quiet day, with birds singing and the nostalgic scent of cut grass wafting through one's nostrils. 

push mower: cuts grass, keeps you fit, makes nice noise, costs nothing on your electric bill image

electric moser: cuts grass, doesn't keep you fit, gives you and your neighbours a headache, costs money every time you use it image

Welcome back from the dark side quercus!

• Thank you Raggy. The headache thing is part of my wicked plan. Hopefully once my neighbour's hear mine they'll all buy one and my precious Sunday morning  lie-in will be sweeter

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I find it a lot less work than my old electric mower, particularly becuse it is so much lighter.  My old mower used to make by shoulders ache and my lovely panther doesn't.