Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

NewBoy2

I have an area of 14 foot by 28 foot that i want to cover for the winter

I have had 5 seasons of digging it over and would now like to put it to bed until a light hoeing in the Spring

? Can anyone RECOMMEND a good supplier of sheeting please

I have lots of fellow Allotmenteers giving suggestions but no RECS

Obelixx

Have you thought of cardboard?  It cuts the light to teh weeds and seeds but lets in moisture so the soil organisms will be happily working away all winter.  Come spring you can plant straight into it or else pile on a thick layer of garden compost or well-rotted manure and plant into that.  The cardboard will degrade into the soil.

Free if you find some packaging and easy.  No roll ling up great heavy sheets and having to dispose of plastic afterwards.

Failing that, check out your local garden centre, DIY shop or building supplies.  They should have plastic and weed proofing membrane on rolls for sale by the metre.

Obelixx is right - cardboard is a good, cheap alternative.  I'd just say if you decide to use this method, ensure the cardboard is not of the glossy sort and remove all labels/sellotape, etc. beforehand.

I'd recommend groundcoversolutions I use their groundtex. Youd take it up and store it for next time.

I have just bought some heavy duty damp proof membrane black plastic from Screwfix for £8.99 3m x 4m for my 8 raised veg beds.   I will mulch heavily with rotted manure and garden compost then cover until Spring and the worms will take it down.  No weeding and it warms the soil ready for planting.  This can be hosed, dried and used again.

Advertisement

NewBoy2

a1154

When you take it up to store it does it ROLL UP without creasing or do you need to fold it please ?

I like to keep things as long as possible and Im concerned that if I have to fold it which will create CREASES will this cause CRACKS

I emailed groundcoversolutions but they did not really answer that question

The Geotex or Mypex type scan be rolled or loosely folded as you prefer. 

NewBoy2

Thank you Iain R but do you know if after a few years of rolling up and unfolding will it crack or should I get softer more flexible product

Geotex and Mypex are flexible I have been using mine for many years. It is the "solid" plastics that are inflexible & will crack & split. The membrane types are best as they let water through as well .

NewBoy2

Iain R

Many thanks.....Im new to this and i am also going to order for an elderly plot holder so I want to get it right

? Do you know of a supplier I could look at please. I would want a 4 metre width if possible 

Sorry to be a pain

Sorry I can't remember where I got mine a google search under Mypex ground cover will bring up lots of alternates. I think someone has already mentioned groundcover solutions there is also Alplas. You may see it as weed control fabric you want heavy duty 100 gsm minimum. Alplas do 2x20 M for under £25  not sure if that includes delivery.

Sorry Newboy didn’t see your question. Groundcoversolutions membrane rolls up nicely after use. I have some bits I have used several times. The fault with the woven kind is fraying. So if you get the right width, it’s ideal, as it’s not that prone to fraying on the length. The cut ends, I’d suggest you fold under neatly as poss. 

Hi all, something to think about if considering covering a plot with plastic is rodents.. Every year a neighbour of mine uses damp proof membrane on his plot in winter. The conditions created under there are perfect winter cover for rats.. Or mice.. Not very pleasant. Rodents will shelter anywhere dry in winter..as stated by others cardboard is perfect for reducing compaction and it breaks down naturally whilst letting water through to the soil. Good for soil organisms and thankfully, no rats.

NewBoy2

Ive ordered the covering now and thanks to all helpers .