Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Tina Duffill

I think i pruned my pyracantha last year at the wrong time as it had no flowers and hence no berries. As i am trying to prune it into a hedge shape when is the best time to prune it?

darren636
Prune immediately after flowering ( may/ June). This gives it enough time to grow and form buds for next year.
Tina Duffill
Thanks for that . . Am glad I left it now
AnniD

I have done a search around the forum and this is the nearest thread I could find to save starting another one!

The birds have had a fine time with my wall trained pyracantha and virtually stripped it of berries. It could do with quite a good trim and I was wondering whether I can do it now or wait for warmer weather before it starts to flower again, or wait until after flowering?

Any advice greatfully received 

Borderline

With Pyracanthas, they respond well to pruning from spring to mid-summer. Which means you can prune before or after flowering.

If it is a routine tidy up, then simply snip off the stray excess growth. The branches flower on previous year's growth, so if you want to retain more chances of berries in autumn, don't prune too far back. It's quite obvious as the newer growth tends to be a shade lighter. But, if your shrub has not had a prune in a while, then just prune to how you want it to grow, but chances are you will have less berries later in the year.

Advertisement

AnniD

Thanks Borderline