London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
22/09/2013 at 09:47

If I put tap water into a butt or can, and leave it say for a week, is it closer to rainwater?  I'm thinking in terms of ph for watering my ericaeous pots, plus my Slightly acid garden soil.

Thanks

22/09/2013 at 09:51

I can't see standing could remove calcium from water. Evaporation would concentrate it a bit more if anything.

That tap water chlorine smell would go.

22/09/2013 at 10:25

I Have camellias in pots and give them a mix of rainwater and tap water. Sometimes one, sometimes the other. Probably 2:1 rain/tap. Also use sequestrene to help the plant take up nutrients which helps overcome any deleterious effects of tapwater. I live in a hard water area. If you live in a soft water area you are probably OK anyway.

Most important is to water , particularly in late summer/autumn as they form the flowers for next year. Letting them dry out is always a problem.

The colour of the leaves give you a clue as to how happy they are. Dark green signals happiness. Yellowing leaves and is time to give them feed/sequestrene and rainwater. Do this and they will recover.

22/09/2013 at 10:41
Hi super ,there is no competition between rain and tap for plants, first choice as always rain, unfortunately i cant find any advise on old tap water from RHS but theres lots of advice on grey water and soft /boiled and such, just go RHS tap water plants ,you cant beat big butts thats the answer,keep em clean with Jeyes fluid once a year as recommended by RHS it works for all us allotmenteers,
22/09/2013 at 13:09

Alan, why do you use Jeyes Fluid in your water butts?  There has been a thread about this before, and if you keep your water butts well-covered, they never need washing out, and certainly not with Jeyes Fluid.

22/09/2013 at 20:32
Hi welsh ,all our water butts ( i have 4 x 40 gallon butts all joined up low down to get the flow to one tap on the end butt,) they are all covered and have a drain pipe going in from the shed all wildlife is kept out, we all get through a lot of water,
towards the end of summer when the butts are low we wash our tools in the butts with mild Jeyes then scrub the inside of the butts which need keeping fresh as poss as recommended by RHS and Jeyes ,any type of disease is hopefully killed off ready for the winter rains to fill them up again,this is done by all our allotmenteers that i know of. We find Jeyes good for hygiene on the allotments a can lasts me years as its only used very sparingly, Alan
22/09/2013 at 20:39

Alan- do you sing that song when you clean them out?

"I like big butts and I cannot lie...."

sorry ...

22/09/2013 at 20:58
I don't know that one Fairygirl, and you wouldn't want to hear me singing while im gardening believe me, good luck all
email image
8 messages