12 messages
27/05/2013 at 13:15

Hi all. Now I have beds and boarders I am looking to purchase lawn edger as I'm sick of pulling it by hand or scalping with the mower. unfortunately I don't have a roller off so have to mow at edges v carefully. 

So my question, how do you do it and what's the best tool for the job and how much did it cost. Also what brand is best aNd going to last well??

I have straight, round aNd curved edges aNd also grass up the side of concrete drive.

27/05/2013 at 14:27

I put in a concrete edge around my lawn.

Dont get those plastic things....they are rubbish.l

If I had to buy any I would go for wood and about 1" below level of grass. Can you just use half moon to keep edges clean and sharp and create a slight ditch between lawn and border?

27/05/2013 at 14:43

I'd agree with Verd. You need something solid or it just falls apart. That plastic stuff is an abomination. Timber, brick or paviour.

Concrete's a good shout Verdun - might do that when I finish my fence posts!

27/05/2013 at 14:48

Hiya fairygirl

I found it relaxing .....I dug out a narrow "ditch" 6" deep and 4" wide, hammered it down hard, put some gravel in and a few vertical  metal spikes and then laid the concrete to just an inch below the lawn level.  Permanent and it weathers superbly to blend in.  Do stretch at a time 

27/05/2013 at 14:56

I will definitely think about that Verdi. One side will border the front path as I am extending the grass, but the other edges will be along the new fence and the border under front window.   Will do that first as I'll need to do a path for entry to side and back gardens.Once I've got a hedge in( bare root along fence this autumn) I'll do that bit too!

28/05/2013 at 20:03

How about the scissor type cutters. Are they anygood???

28/05/2013 at 20:25

You sound very organised Fairygirl.

Bet your muscles are bigger than Popeyes with all that work!  Impressed.

28/05/2013 at 20:29

Heh heh...good for keeping the bingo wings at bay Verd...

RD - I use edging shears for the grass- don't like strimmers.

28/05/2013 at 20:36

are they ok on curves??

28/05/2013 at 20:41

I use edging shears too. They are fine on curves. I have long handled ones that you can walk round with and short scissor like ones which I use for edging when I'm kneeling on a kneeler weeding. Then every 3 years or so I go round with a half moon cutter if there are tatty bits.

28/05/2013 at 20:41

Yes no problem. Just go to B&Q or garden centre- there's plenty to choose from for all sizes of pocket! Keep them sharp so you get a tidy finish.

They're good for the bingo wings too!

28/05/2013 at 20:49

Think its the number one thinI in my birthday list! 

email image
12 messages