London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
8 messages
18/04/2014 at 21:10

I had finally decided my tree was taking up too much light from my garden. I got my self a tree pruner and set to work, which leads to a problem of lots of wood. I am not the sort of person who likes burning things I would rather recycle or reuse. 

This was what I was left with 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42711.jpg?width=456&height=350&mode=max

(sorry for poor quaility photo) 

So I felt I had quite a dilemma because I don't have much money to get someone to come and dispose of it. Again I did not want to burn it plus who wants a bonfire in this sort of weather and with many other neighbors having laundry out. 

In the end I decided to get the branches and separate them into different sized pieces and I ended up doing this (picture below)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42712.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

I made an improvement to my compost heap and where my water butt is, I created a bug motel and I filled it with layered bricks, branches, moss and some hay from the guinea pig cage.

I am happy with my first attempt at a wicker style fencing (not sure if thats the right name for it). I thought I would share this with everyone as I know many people will be cutting and pruning trees and I felt they could get some ideas from this 

18/04/2014 at 21:14

Plus on another note everything you see there is made from budgeting even the raised flower bed was made from recycling housing beams from a skip and the pots and trellis was from a end of season sale from wilkos and the tumbling terracotta pots was made from donated pots with a rod in the middle and I layered the pots through the drainage holes to give the illusion of it tumbling  

here is  a bigger picture of the results just realised how small it is 

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i8al1h.jpg

19/04/2014 at 08:38

And you get so much satisfaction from making the most use of everything 

19/04/2014 at 10:22

Your only other practical alternatives would have been to shred it, not easy if you don't own a shredder; chop it up and put it in the bin, or take it to your local recycling centre.

You seem to have made good use of it, although it will probably rot away quite quickly around the compost heap.

19/04/2014 at 11:31

KT53 I did actually think of the rot but fortunately I did another recycling project before hand I turn an old bed frame into a compost frame, I took all the fabric off and left with all the wood. Then made a basic frame where I dug into the rockery to add depth and I added the compost back in (this was about October last year so it has had time to set in. When I checked it the other day it had plenty of worms in and I seemed quite happy with it.  I built the wicker part about an inch in front the frame so it will keep in the heat and bugs can also make there way through.

19/04/2014 at 18:45

I can almost hear the theme tune from "The Good Life"

It's good to see somebody thinking about how they can reuse items rather than just binning or taking to the tip (I have to admit I do the latter most of the time)

20/04/2014 at 20:17

I never realised how much I reuse things till I write this post. Yesterday I recycled a fence panel from my parents to fit the small fence gap that was at the end of the garden 

20/04/2014 at 20:20

Nothing wrong with rot. It's the natural thing to do

email image
8 messages