London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
15 messages
29/08/2013 at 23:28

Hi all I am thinking ahead for next year.... This year I had tubs with potato, some French beans, carrots, tomato. 

what I need to know is how to revitalise this for next year???? The carot bed was a big cement tub 4ft x2ft by 2.5ft deep. This was spent compost, new compost and sand. I dont really want to waste this mix especially as the sand sealant cheap. What should I do??

the beans, potato and soon I will have tomato spent, how can I revitalise???

30/08/2013 at 10:31

I don't know if this will help, but when we dig out a potato bag or tub, we either put the compost on the soil as a mulch, or put it in the compost bin.

30/08/2013 at 10:50

Was the carrot bed used only for carrots?   

I think you could use this for tomatoes next year.  I would grow wallflowers, pansies, stocks, etc. over the winter and then mix in dried manure or fresh compost next spring plus an organic fertiliser.....chicken pellets or fish blood and bone.....to plant out your tomatoes.  

If too cold for outdoor tomatoes how about Beetroot, lettuce, radishes, or even strawberries?  As I write this I am tending towards strawberries.  Get the plants over winter from online supplier

In any case, I wouldn't waste it.  

30/08/2013 at 20:25

Thanks verdun. Yes only carrots and they did Well and didn't suffer with pests. I really hoped I could use this for my carrots again but maybe not you think??

I know I want potatos carrots tomato and climbing French beans in tubs next year. Can any of those go back into this compost if I mix together and fertilise with ??????

30/08/2013 at 23:41

I would not plant carrots again there next year.  Any of the others could go in that tub though

31/08/2013 at 02:46

If really set on growing carrots there nxt yr, you could try interplanting them with onions, chives, garlic or the like, but most advice, as Verdun's, is not to plant a crop in the same soil two yrs in a row. This is how crop-specific pests build up in the soil. Avoid growing plants of the same family in the same place again the next yr.  If you are growing all the same plants again, and re-using the compost/soil, use a crop rotation system as you would for beds.  re-vitalize the compost as verdun suggests, then put the plants into different pots than last yr.  Remember that toms and pots sre in the same family, so don't put a tom into last yrs potato container unless you have completely changed the compost and cleaned the pot.

However, having said all of this, all of my fruit and veg growing used to be in containers as i had a concrete yard. I used to mix in some home-made compost and a little growmore each yr, then feed as neccessary and never had any probs.  Containers can be more work in watering and feeding, but easier to control pests and diseases.  I am finding more probs in my raised veg beds than I ever did with growing in containers.

31/08/2013 at 08:40

I wouldn't put tomatoes into old compost. Replace the old stuff before using it for them. Old compost is great for putting on ornamental areas as an extra mulch or for bulking up any new areas for planting shrubs or perennials. I'll be using mine for that 

31/08/2013 at 20:39

Best way to dispose of old compost is to add it to a compost pile as you are putting in cuttings etc.

its full of good bacteria and can add to you compost pile.

Also you could use it on a lawn as a top dressing.

31/08/2013 at 21:12

Think the carrot sandy mix will be bagged up over winter and used for potatos when I have added some fish and bone stuff I bought today.

the beans compost will go for next years carrots.

the potato and tomato will mulch round my beds?? How does that sound? Anything that is left I will add more new compost to and use for French beans. 

31/08/2013 at 23:53

Sounds good to me, 'Dahlia'.

01/09/2013 at 10:26

01/09/2013 at 13:01

So, all sorted on the compost front then.  

Got some fantastic red dahlias this year.....well, same as last year but this summer the colour has intensified.  ("Red Dahlia" 's thread made me think of that)

01/09/2013 at 22:16

I bought 2 from Cornwall holiday (which turned into being a Cornwall tour of gardens and garden centres!!!! Ooops at 32 stone would say it should have been beaches and bars) they are called dahlia gallery Rivera. They have flowered their hearts out. I hope they are fertile and I can keep them through the winter! 

01/09/2013 at 23:38

Ah well!  Bought from gods own Country so you've got the best.  Yes they will keep through the winter

02/09/2013 at 00:54

What a typo I'm 32 years old not stone!!!!!! Ooops

email image
15 messages