London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
8 messages
08/11/2012 at 18:30

....will be getting a ride on mower / mini tractor for his birthday at the end of Nov.  I've been to a couple of places that sell them and have got some basic info, but as this is a rather pricey gift I don't want to get it wrong!  So I was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations on brand and whether to go for a sit on mower or a mini tractor.  Chap in shop said the tractor was more 'butch'.... anyones expereince / advice very gratefully recieved - thanks ever so!

08/11/2012 at 19:36

I think it depends on what he will be using it for! A mower is for mowing and a tractor not but it does have many other uses!  My OH has both lucky chap .

08/11/2012 at 19:40

Depends how big the garden is and if he wants to do more than mowing. Will he need a trailer eventually for garden rubbish etc.? Some tractors can take accessories, like scarifiers. Tractors are more expensive, so it depends on your budget.

09/11/2012 at 10:29

Simple sit on mowers are generally best for smooth, flat lawns.  The one's that look like  a mini tractor are more rugged and can cope with bumpier terrain but won't be good on real slopes as they can topple.

You can buy them with grass collectors, without grass collectors or with a mulching action which chops the cuttings up really fine and leaves them to feed the lawn.   We have one without grass collection as they always seem to get clogged and I spent more time unblocking the tubes on the old one than actually mowing.   Friends have the self mulching model and it is excellent but their grass is less lush than ours.

Our new one is a Lazer.  It cost about €1000 3 years ago and should last 10 or 15 years.   I could have got a robot for the same price but OK was agin it.  I'll get one next time though as our grass area will be reduced in the next year or so.  

09/11/2012 at 21:23
Thanks so much. Really useful.
10/11/2012 at 17:57

Don't expect a mower to do the same work that a tractor will.

01/12/2012 at 11:46
Went for the mini tractor and he loves it! Bright red and lots of fun! Pretty sure the grass will be cut a lot next year! X
19/03/2013 at 14:46

What make and model did you buy ?

email image
8 messages